Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Questions regarding course

Hey guys I am brand new here. I recently formed a rock band with some of my friends and it is coming along great. I actually have a lot of confidence in my voice despite having no training but im afraid I could be using some very poor technique. After one of our rehearsals I lost my voice completely. I did some research then visited an ENT for an examination of my vocal cords. He told me I just had some minor swelling and that I should be better soon. A few weeks after that we had another rehearsal and this time I actually did a proper warm up before but yet a few days after my voice feels heavily strained again. Right now I can't even sing at all and my throat really hurts. This never happened until recently. I am frustrated because we were going to record soon and I just want to get better. My confidence was super high before all this and I desperately need that back. So I guess my big question here is how much will Ken Tamplins course help me to prevent vocal strain in the future? Thanks guys!

Comments

• sagemacgsagemacg 2.0 PRO Posts: 240
    Hi @TrentWright,

Like anything YMMV - it depends how carefully you follow the course. If you commit to it it will help enormously, but it won't fix everything overnight. From your description you've built up some very bad habits, and it will take time to unlearn them.

If you're anything like me you've been using bad technique as a crutch. So what I realized when I started the course is that the power in my voice was coming from an unhealthy place. Breaking old habits left me with a healthier but weaker voice, in a manner of speaking. But the course is helping me build up the right kind of power now. It takes time, but it's worth it.

So, I would HIGHLY recommend you save your voice and get the course - but know that it may not get you sorted out before you have to record.

Hope that helps!
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I've been on the course a year and so far everyone that applies it regularly in the correct way that I have heard has made improvement. Some more than others but we all learn at different paces. Without hearing an example of you singing its hard to pinpoint where you are going wrong. If you YouTube ken tamplin diaphragmatic breathing it will bring up a bunch of useful videos to get you started. The course is awesome but like @sagemacg says it takes time. This is something you will continually work for years but if you do get it and practice then I'd be surprised if you don't see some noticeable difference in a few months.

Good luck!