Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Dimash Kudaibergen support/strain

Some critics say that Dimash constantly strains, and has trouble supporting around the 4th/5th octave (and higher) , and even at his lowest notes. What do you think about this?

Personally, I think he has excellent support throughout his range (evidenced by the way he can sustain, use vibrato, shift dynamics, and sound rounder/fuller especially when he uses his classical voice), and the "strain" is just a stylistic choice, like when he switches to a "pop" vocal style.
(i raised this question in ken's latest reaction to dimash)

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    I agree, Dimash has superb technique and support.

Doc
  • AccorpsAccorps Member Posts: 2
    Blondiewales, is there a more accurate way of telling if it's supported? For example, in his rendition of Opera 2 (have you heard this?), he goes into the 6th octave with those final notes, which sound supported because theyre fuller/rounder/more open/with vibrato than the original version. Am I wrong?
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    I really fail to see when Dimash is straining. He doesn't have perfect technique, but he is one of the best out there when it comes to it. Without proper support, he wouldn't be able to do any of the tones and textures he desires in his performances. If he was straining, then you would hear the strain and he would get caught when he goes to the high note. Sometimes it may look like he is straining, but he is just acting it out to get the feeling of the song across, what really matters is the sound that comes out of his mouth, which doesn't really sound squeezed.

Does he have tension at any point? Yes he does, but there's a fine line between necessary tension, and unecessary tension.
  • Richard_DRichard_D 2.0 PRO Posts: 5
    If I look at Dimash's neck, cheek bones, temples and shoulders, I can not see any strain at all. He sings some passages of his songs with full chest belt where you can see him using his abdominal support very effectively. Especially impressive to me is his ability to support going from low ranges around F2 all the way up to E5 with no hearable break and then hold the high note in a vibrato just to come down into a soul like melody....all with one long breath and tone. You can't do that without proper support and glottal control. (Listen to "Sinful Passion" in the middle....very impressive!)...my opinion.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    I agree that he is an amazing singer. Technique is really good. Maybe not perfect, but among the best if you ask me.