Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Frustrated with progress

The idea is to do a lip trill on all 12 major scales with correct pitch. I have spent a month on getting the lip trill exercise right and now my problem is pitch. For example, I intend to do a lip trill on a G major scale but i always start with Gb instead. It is like my mind is playing tricks on me. Nobody said it was gonna be easy but I am just feeling useless. I can get the notes right when humming, but with lip trills I am always off. What do I do?

Comments

• Options
    cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    Hi, angrybeaver. I'm sorry to hear about your frustration.

First...if you bought the course, please upgrade your forum membership by following the instructions in the link below. When you post on the "customer" side of the forum we can provide more thorough answers.

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/categories/new-students-please-read-this

As for your pitch issue with lip trills, I have not heard that before. I can appreciate the frustration. That's kinda weird. :) I don't have a good answer for you, BUT do not let that simple matter be frustrating for you. Lots of people have trouble with lip trills in other ways, but trills are not a requirement to progressing on the course. They are simply another tool.

So...keep working on the trills, but don't get frustrated by them. :)

Chris
  • Options
    angrybeaverangrybeaver Member Posts: 17
    Thank you for the kind words @cwcw , I will keep trying
  • Options
    samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    Hi angrybeaver,

I'm no expert on pitch, so just my opinion. I would do a note humming like you said, check that it's on pitch. Then do a note using a lip trill until they match up. And then move back onto scales afterwards.

Also: do you have the course or watch Ken's youtube videos? If not, I would personally do his Ah vowel youtube videos and come back to the lip trill later. Up to you of course, peace !
  • Options
    Hi @samw2019,I am watching Kens youtube videos and learning from there till I buy the course. I have researched a bit about lip trills from other videos also
  • Options
    VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,602
    @angrybeaver

Pitch issues can be sorted out, however many different types of pitch issue. Firstly tonedear.com can help to sharpen the hearing do the intervals regular every day not for long time short exercises help speed up progress. The idea if we can hear and recognise pitch well, the next stage is to match our voice with the notes and if you got an apple device you can use an app like Singscope to check your pitch.

Using a instrument Guital, keyboard etc. E.G. play an "A" note and try to replicate the sound just like when get tuning forks resonating your close to being on pitch. The slowly go up the scale chromatically (use every note), keep well within your range though. Remember to use diaphragmatic support correctly that helps with certain pitch problems.

I had issues with pitch at the start, there's execises to help on pitch when you join but dont worry it take a bit of extra work and you will be able to match pitch more accurately without having to concentrate so much.

Practice these regular, through time you will improve please be patient and enjoy the progress of improving.

Hope this helps

:) Vocality

• Options
    Thank you @Vocality, I have tried matching pitch with a keyboard vst and it's getting better. I guess it just takes patience. Thank you all