Home The Singer's Lobby

Licensing for YouTube covers Query

Hi All,

I have been preparing some songs for YouTUbe cover. I have released one already.
Recently, realized that I need licensing to cover some songs?

Famous You-tube cover artists cover many song?
Do they obtain license ? How do they obtain it?

I came across https://www.easysonglicensing.com/

But, I don;t understand what do I need to do to legally post youTube covers ?

Thanks

Comments

• samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    (correct me if I'm wrong) but in youtube it's only a problem if you monotize the upload of the cover? For example some youtube channels have demonotized their content in order to upload videos containing copyrighted material (like Rick Beato, for music; Jim Sterling, for video-games).

As for licenses, I'm not sure how to do that, but from what I remember, you can find a list of record companies who are willing to profit-share with certain artists and certain songs.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited October 2019
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    I nutshell you over a track in Youtube and then copyright owner a) removes it b) claims it. Claiming means that you don't get any money from it ever if you get a million plays. The copyright owner gets. This is the reason why many youtubers use other forms of monetizing on top of covering.
  • samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285

samw2019 said:

(correct me if I'm wrong) but in youtube it's only a problem if you monotize the upload of the cover? For example some youtube channels have demonotized their content in order to upload videos containing copyrighted material (like Rick Beato, for music; Jim Sterling, for video-games).

As for licenses, I'm not sure how to do that, but from what I remember, you can find a list of record companies who are willing to profit-share with certain artists and certain songs.

You may not get in legal trouble, but even non-monetized music covers can get removed.

Source: I had my first ever cover removed. Weird thing is that there are other, better known covers of the same song still up.
    Thanks I didn't know that. Sorry to hear you had your cover removed I guess it's a bit of a minefield in that case.