Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Odd pressure after workouts?

kamikazekamikaze 2.0 PRO Posts: 193
edited January 2014 in Vocal Health and Wellness
Hey guys! I'll try my best to make this quick:p Well basically, since my lesson I've been trying to get consistently further in my workouts, although not usually all the way through (Hopefully after I solve this! Knock on wood!) And this past week I had a few unexpected off days which kind of threw me off. So on Friday, I noticed then when I pushed my diaphragm during the scales, for some.reason it made starting the scale a bit difficult. More importantly, after about 12 or 13 tracks, I got this weird kind of sharp headache at the front of my head, like near my eyes. I am also noticing this a bit now, having just finished track 3. Would any of you guys perhaps have any idea what could begoing on to cause this? Thanks a lot! Brian

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

kamikaze,

Do you have sinus problems?  This sounds like it could be a sinus headache. 

Track 3 is a killer if you aren't shedding the weight and using the mods.  If you have sinus pressure issues, you could aggravate a headache that's looking for a place to start some trouble.

Bob

• ragnarragnar Pro Posts: 410
    edited March 2013
    I agree with Bob, it does sound like textbook sinusitis

• kamikazekamikaze 2.0 PRO Posts: 193
    I think you guys may be absolutely right! I've had stuffy noses and whatnot lately too, so I wouldn't be surprised. Although last night, I was bringing up reflux almost two hours after eating :0 that doesn't seem like a sinus symptom I don't believe. Are you guys aware if there's any such thing as maybe pushing your diaphragm too much?

Thanks!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Kamikaze,

You can overdo just about ANYTHING if you don't exercise due caution.  Watch out for the tamales con carne.  They aren't much fun the second time around. 

Seriously, be careful of the reflux, as the acid can irritate your vocal cords, and you definitely don't want to aspirate any of that stuff. 

Always remember, stretch don't strain!  That goes for the diaphragm, the cords, the throat, just about everything we are trying to build up.  If we go farther than the body is ready to go, we will take a step backwards.  Sometimes the most efficient practice is to push just under our limitations, rather than just beyond them. 

Bob

• kamikazekamikaze 2.0 PRO Posts: 193
    Hey Bob,

You're absolutely right! I've tried some acid controller over the counters I found in my house (I don't think I should takethem all the time though:0)

Today I did only 5 tracks :/ I was going to do some more, but time got away. Ill shoot for more tomorrow! (Knock on wood!)

I've found its sometimes tough for me to put everything together at once, especially on the very bottom, with.compressing, brightening, supporting, shaping, placing, ect. I still believe my main problem though is that I overthink a lot and it gets in my head and I have WAY too much going on up there:0 I'm just jot too sure how to get that calmed down! I'm always trying to make sure everything's working properly in unison with itself, so I guess I get pretty preoccupied in my head!

Thanks!

Brian