Home Psychology of Singing

Singing Issues - Is it normal that not everyone feels what you are singing?

Hi KTVA,

Currently I have been thinking about something that I am dealing with lately. Sometimes, it admittedly bugs me a bit if a friend of mine or someone I know does not 'feel genuine emotion' from my singing although there are others who do. Even though you know it is just their opinion, sometimes you wonder if this ever happens to any of you, even professionals. This often creates that never-ending thought of whether you can at least make it to a semi-pro level as a singer, because at the end of the day a good singer touches audiences.

If that has ever happened to you, how do you deal with such issues?

Regards,
Tim :)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Haters gonna hate. Some people see life and the world through negative lenses. People who thrive on negativity cannot resist bringing someone else down in order to try to elevate themselves.

Disregard haters.
  • viniciusoliveiraviniciusoliveira Enrolled Posts: 303
    edited April 2017
    There are many people who find my voice unpleasant.
    Does that matter to me? No,because I like my singing.

I much rather having a voice that no one but me enjoys that the opposite.

If you try to please others instead,you might end up having a voice you can't stand.

There are many singers out of there who try to please the biggest amount of people they possibly can,whereas there are some whose main vocal goal is to sing the way they want.

Choosing your vocal goals is up to you.
  • GaryDrummGaryDrumm 2.0 PRO Posts: 45
    Yep. Totally normal. Ultimately you sing for yourself. It’s part of who you are. If people don’t like it, that’s on them... their loss.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    In my language we say: "The best revenge is a nice life." - Let them feel their hare. Enjoy your progress you will have by constant practice. I practice singing for myself. And I never thought how good it is for my soul. Every time I come back from practice session from the basement I feel so relaxed and satisfied. Progress will come by itself if you keep practicing as perfect as you can.

My 2 cents,
    Doc
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    There are also times when even professional singers have a hard time connecting with the audience. I have been to many where I thought "hmmm, not the best from them" but now that I understand the work that goes into singing I can appreciate the effort that they put into the show and the performance, instead of just being disappointed (although I'm very aware of technique now as well 😅)
    I try to connect the song to myself, not possible with all songs of course but if I feel it then I'm happy.
  • DonniDeVilleDonniDeVille 2.0 PRO Posts: 25
    @timliu92 I wondered if the difference between the way others sense emotion in your singing or not, could be depending on if they can feel more when you move around, a bit like Ken does and his wonderful Diva girls... They look as if they are acting out the words and their feelings with their movements. Perhaps, some people don't need the 'extra' performing, but, there are two parts to entertaining... The singing and the moving to the song.
  • DonniDeVilleDonniDeVille 2.0 PRO Posts: 25
    @viniciusoliveira
    Quote: "There are many singers out of there who try to please the biggest amount of people they possibly can,whereas there are some whose main vocal goal is to sing the way they want."

If a person is singing for themselves, or just to sing along with friends, what you say is true. Otherwise, if you perform on stage, the aim is always to please your audience. If you don't, they won't come back to see you again. There is no reason to like your voice less, if you practise, record it and listen back to where you are going wrong or singing flat... You can only improve your vocals whatever they were before. The main thing is, to sound pleasant enough to please an audience. You owe it to them to work at your performance.

An example here is; singing a song on stage that you don't like, but which is warmly accepted because they like the song, means you still have a responsibility to do your best, for your audience. Paying or not.