Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Hard to Handle

Hi everyone, can you please give me some feedback on this recording? I don't have much time to be on the Forum these days but if anyone would like me to give you some feedback on anything, tag me and I will check it out.

Thanks, Michael

(FYI the drum track ends before the actual song ends because i added a piano solo)...ideally it wouldn't be performed that way

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvqpmhkVjP-MiHiDoirvJ_k5lvKD

@HuduVudu @doc_ramadani @Vocality @bentk @iking @Diego @highmtn @Gaston_Jauregui @Sophia @victortang @Klaus_T @Furious_Phil @Ken Tamplin @Wigs @Maximus3000 @Jáchym @cwcw @reallydanny @SlaySomething @Rick_amateur

Comments

• Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    One more thing...I spoke with a friend who loved the vocals but not the the piano Arrangement so much, specifically he said for such a badass cool song, The Piano part sounds like a "jingle". I re- recorded it without the b7/5 4/6 3/5 slide. It's more straight now rhythmically. I'm not sure this is better though....what do you all think? You just need to listen to like the first 20 seconds of this second recording to get the idea...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvqpmhkVjP-MiHvZf_-zWpwTPufN
  • samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    Nice one Michael, Otis is cool. You've got a certain Mick Jagger quality to your voice which I liked and it made it your own, peace man
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @Michael4000

Very good vocals there did prefer the 2nd version sounded more in the groove, your adjustments worked better In 2nd post and nice tone in your voice suited the song well.

Good job
    Vocality :)
  • cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    edited October 2019
    @Michael4000

I liked your vocal performance over all - competent, good tone, pitch, etc. Well done.

What I struggled with the lack of cool vibe compared to the original...believe me, I get it...not an easy thing to deal with, especially given the constraints of a programmed (midi) drum track, etc.

I think bumping up the tempo a bit would help tremendously. Your version dragged for me. I think your vocals captured the essence of the original for sure, and also some of the swagger - not an easy task. Keep working on the swagger. I need to as well - so, I'm speaking the same comments to myself. "Be the ball, Danny" - Ty Webb, Caddyshack. :)

Chris
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    @Michael4000

Nice job man. I am liking your voice a lot more, you seem to have some nice textures and a little grit in there.
    About the instrumental I think you should make the tempo DEFINITELY a little faster. Make the mix a little louder, and if you can time your vocals a little more with some of the drum parts. Sometimes you may come a little early and sometimes a little later.

I think the tempo is killing your instrumental.'

Cheers.
    @Diego thanks. Do you mean make the vocals louder in the mix or make the entire mix louder in general
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    edited October 2019
    Actually, I think it was just my headphones making it a little quieter. The mix seems fine. Maybe make the piano just a tad louder.
    @blondiewales What do you think of the mix?
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Michael4000,

I know this song very well. I played it with a Rhythm'n'Soul cover band for years, but as a trumpet player It has a unique vibe and sound which is not so easy to reproduce with a drum track and a piano. This is the reason why it sounds a little bit "empty".

I like the way you sang the song and can hear that your voice grew very well. What strikes me is that you bring up a lot of weight in the higher parts. Maybe you want to try to get rid of that weight by singing with a little less power and volume.

When I heard your demo I thought "Michael should try to sing The Letter by Joe Cocker.".

Doc
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I thought the tempo seemed fine, but then again I know bugger all about mixing and actually creating music. Vocals definately getting more of a professional sound.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited October 2019
    @Michael4000 ,

I like your vocal sass and style. I think you may need to turn up the click track in your headphones, because the timing is off at times. I don't know if the piano is off-beat just a bit, but the first and third breaks (where the music stops) aren't smooth when the music comes back in. The 2nd break is perfect and flows well. But the first and third breaks are mini-trainwrecks, rhythmically speaking.

I don't know whether the drum track is being manually played on a drum machine, or if it's rock-solid and the piano and voice are drifting, but a song like this needs to keep the groove relentlessly. No room for error on the rhythm stops and breaks.

I know you don't want people to tell you how great it is, you want to know what to improve. So I'm suggesting that you make sure the drum track and piano track are locked-into the groove, and then if that is solid, well, that means that if the voice is out of time, then that part needs to be addressed... all the while keeping it funky.

Nice job with steadily improving your voice and style. You're starting to get some good chops going.

Keep up the good work.

Bob
    @blondiewales GREAT suggestion, Thanks!