Home Ken Tamplin's Corner
Options

Glottal compression sensation

voodoovoodoo Pro Posts: 250
edited April 2012 in Ken Tamplin's Corner
Ken, is the most accurate description for the sensation of doing glottal compression is that it feels like the notes are sitting on a column of air? Thanks.

Best Answer

• Options
    Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    Answer ✓
    sitting in a column of "controlled air (like a tube) yes that woud be a good description and not only that...when you experience it, it's as though you no longer have to remind the throat to stay open, it does it automatically

Answers

• Options
    athusathus Pro Posts: 18
    Do you get that glottal compression by tensing your abdomen Right after you take your breath in?
  • Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    @athus Glottal compression consists of more than just that, but tensing (squeezing/pushing down sensation) is a very crucial part of support. With glottal compression, you also hold your breath, like talking underwater, at the base of the neck. I see you have the course, so you are able to watch the videos about glottal compression. :)
  • Options
    HurstTXguyHurstTXguy Member Posts: 2
    I have Volume 1 & 2...DVDs from some years back. You mention glottal compression but is it fully explained in Volume 3?

Or have I overlooked something in Vol 1 &2? I've done the exercises & ingrained other concepts. We love you Ken...the proof IS in the singing.
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @HurstTXguy,

is the course you have 2.0?

Doc
  • Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    @HurstTXguy You probably have the original course, and yes it is explained in VOL3. I prefer the 2.0 version of the KTVA course a lot, but the original also contains everything you need. It goes without saying that you do need the whole course whether it's the original course or the new 2.0 version to have the complete thing. If i recall correctly, this is VOL1-3 (and head voice, VOL4) + Pro packs for the original course, and VOL1-5 + pro packs for the 2.0 version.

All the best,

Ben
  • Options
    HurstTXguyHurstTXguy Member Posts: 2