Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Screaming Question

Hi, I've search all over the internet and have been trying to place this for a few years and practicing and just can't figure it out. If I could find out what "type" of scream it is, or how to achieve it, that would be fantastic. But what I'm trying to achieve is the type of scream Marilyn Manson does. Here's a few examples of what I'm talking about. EX 1 at 4:48 - 5:13, EX 2 at 3:05. And I think Scarlxrd also might do this type of scream too. EX 3 at 1:08 - 1:22

Any help on where I should start would be very appreciated.

Comments

• VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @Mallory

Welcome to the forum from the uk, these type of screams are vocal fry or distortion, it's important to note we train over months to built strength and stamina to be able to apply that vocal technique safely. We also have to warm up the voice gently and gradually lean into the sound to achieve that level of distiortion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZbxAk1AE6E

Hope this helps

Vocality :)
  • Goggalor1990Goggalor1990 Member Posts: 27
    He uses a fry scream. I'd start out with a vocal fry sound, and then try to add more air and gradually lean into the sound. But as the person above said, it should be built up over time. If it hurts, stop immediately. Vocal damage is no joke.
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @Goggalor1990

Yes the techniques require time to do safely , if you want to do these type of extreme vocals would strongly recommend joining the course if you can. The training is structured to build the voice correctly, you also have student area of the forum that you can post demos and questions to the relevant areas.

I have now been on the course for 12 months and had to work hard at it but the improvements have been well worth it, have learned loads in all aspects of singing and it's been a great experience.

Vocality
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Goggalor1990,

and then try to add more air

If you really mean air in means of breath: we want to do the opposite. We want to reduce the amount of air but want to add tone to the fry. The fry should be a color that you add to the tone.

Doc