Home Vocal Health and Wellness

How does weightlifting affect to singing?

Greetings,

I have heard that weightlifting affects singing in a negative way also never seen a good singer with big muscles, except Michael Starr of Steel Panther and Eric Adams of Manowar.
I have been going to gym nearly everyday for 8 years and i don't want to stop but again also i want to be the best singer i can ever be.

What do you guys think? If there is a negative effect how can i minimize that?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited March 2013

Denize,

Don't worry.  Being a bodybuilder will not have a negative effect on your singing as long as you can relax in the ways that Ken recommends.

Always relax your support in-between phrases, then resume support when singing, especially on high notes.

Keep your chest, neck, and throat relaxed when singing. 

Don't let your muscles get "bound up" when supporting or singing high.  As long as you can truly relax while singing, you will be fine.  When you start to feel tension, stop and loosen up.  Work out those kinks and let the tension go.  Allow your voice to shift from chest to head, don't force it. 

Bob

• denizsaymandenizsayman Pro Posts: 8
    Thanks,

this really relieved me a lot
  • bluesbirdbluesbird Pro Posts: 59
    I've been doing heavy lifting at least for 20 years, never had a problem. I've also had allergies, post nasal drip and sinus infections for lots of years. Bad singing technique was the only thing that caused real problems and they all subsided when I changed it. Doing Ken's method for about a month, has me more confident than ever.