Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Checking my vocals after 4 months break

Hey guys I didn't practice my singing for like 4 months and I actually didn't sing at all now wanted to give it a try, I did the warm ups as I used to and I felt that my voice actually was much stronger than before but I still don't sound good and I am quite paranoid what if I am thinking that my voice is not that bad but in reality is much worse, can you tell me what I am doing wrong and how is it ? Btw I've been practicing for like 2 years including some breaks but only with the free stuff from Ken, I don't have the course.
Here are some tries:
- Bryan Adams Summer of 69
- Runaround sue
- Bryan Adams Back to you

Also, I have a question: I use my phone to record my voice and when I try to do karaoke I play music on phone also record my voice on the same phone but it sounds bad is it because this is not a good technique to record or is the fault with my voice, if both which would play a bigger role ?
Sorry if it's too harsh for your ears lol.

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Hi there, I listened to your examples and it sounds like you are singing a bit too much into the mask so there is a slight nasal quality. It also sounds like you aren't using enough support and you are trying to get your throat to do alot of the work.

If you have been using Ken's free videos I'm sure you have come across both videos about support and mask. Since you have had some time off I think getting back into regular practice will help. The summer if 69 had the best pitch and melody to my ears.
  • endrits079endrits079 Member Posts: 32
    Wigs said:

Hi there, I listened to your examples and it sounds like you are singing a bit too much into the mask so there is a slight nasal quality. It also sounds like you aren't using enough support and you are trying to get your throat to do a lot of the work.

If you have been using Ken's free videos I'm sure you have come across both videos about support and mask. Since you have had some time off I think getting back into regular practice will help. The summer if 69 had the best pitch and melody to my ears.

Thanks for your reply Wigs, this thing with breath support I don't really know how to practice this, I am breathing from diaphragm but I don't know how to control it, I know it is one of the most important parts of singing, but I just don't know how. :disappointed:
    and by the way with nasality, when I am doing the mmm warmup with closed mouth if I close my nose I can't make the sound is this normal or does that mean that I am doing it wrong and that's why I sound nasal?
  • @endrits079 Your voice exits your body either through your mouth or your nose. If your lips are closed, then all the air exits via your nose. If you also close your nostrils, then there will be no sound. This is normal. :)

Ken's most recent video on his channel is about how to breathe for singing. Please check it out. He can't go into all the material that is in the paid course, but he has a LOT available for free on his channel. There are links from the most recent video.
    Sophia said:

@endrits079 Your voice exits your body either through your mouth or your nose. If your lips are closed, then all the air exits via your nose. If you also close your nostrils, then there will be no sound. This is normal. :)

Ken's most recent video on his channel is about how to breathe for singing. Please check it out. He can't go into all the material that is in the paid course, but he has a LOT available for free on his channel. There are links from the most recent video.

Thank you Sophia, I just finished watching it, I can understand what he is talking about but I don't know why I find it hard to apply in actual singing, I just can't use that breath to support my voice. I think I need more time to analyze this.