Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Options

My name's Nick, and I'm here to correct my mistakes as a vocal student

I wouldn't say I'm a bad singer by any means. My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0IYr508KoOCIn0d15ecb-g shows some of my songs and vocal performances, including my own jazz/folk compositions and performances with UT-Austin's Middle Eastern Ensemble; I'm working on updating this channel with both new and old material. I've also sung operatic pieces such as Lenski's Aria and Olim Lacus Colueram.

But at the end of the day, my heart belongs to rock and metal. I've always had problems getting involved with a band--either everyone's schedules conflict, people have kids, sudden changes of heart occur, or I go off to Tajikistan--but I work on technique at karaoke and I make sure to record myself so that I know exactly where I can improve. Examples include:

Highway Star: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YI8nnT8uzd3Jollg1_gICoTveEjRpJ7x
Who Wants to Live Forever: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nranuPxTT4GQeXI23iDWcn9OeR18RRt1

There are strong elements to all the performances I'm linking. But there are also tons of mistakes, and I think a large part of it stems from my haste to reach the next milestone as soon as possible.

Growing up, I sang rock as often as possible, and people always told me I sounded great. And then, because I was a cocky teenager, I started getting the sense that I could blitz ahead in developing my voice and learn new concepts more quickly. Yet as time's gone on, I'm seeing the gaps where I should have deeper understanding of certain techniques. For instance, I know I'm supposed to lose as little air as possible when singing, and some days I can do it. But then for days at a time, something will happen and I won't be able to connect that knowledge in my brain with an actual physiological response.

I'm also an avid language enthusiast and have used Duolingo to learn four languages. I bring this up because KTVA appears to work in a similar way: it's a resource that I can use at my own pace and according to my own drive so that I can build a strong foundation that other teachers can help me build upon. I've had great vocal teachers in the past as well, but they can only do so much given an hour a week and an impatient college student juggling so many commitments that music ends up taking a back seat to other career and educational goals.

Well, no more of that. It's time for me to take the plunge and start redoubling my efforts to nail the vocal technique needed to be the best possible singer I can be. It seems like there's an incredible and supportive network of vocalists and vocal enthusiasts here, and I look forward to seeing and hearing more! To our singing!

Comments

• Options
    DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    edited November 2019
    Hello there, welcome from Honduras @HardRockGuru. Since you're a language enthusiast, do you know spanish? ¿Hablas español?
    Glad to have you on the forums. Thank you for sharing some of your background info with us. You do not sound bad at all. I was actually impressed with your Who Wants To Live forever cover, coming from a Queen enthusiast. You got some good notes under your belt mate.

The best thing about you is the attitude at which you are approaching these things. You need to have the right attitude and mindset to become the best version of yourself. Hope to see you througj this journey.

Once again. Welcome to the KTVA forums! Enjoy your stay and have fun with us!

-Diego
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Nick, Hi Nicholas, @HardRockGuru

a warm Welcome also from a mate from Germany. I listened to your "Coffee Shop". I am sure your voice will benefit a lot from the course. As soon as you have a feeling for good diaphragmatic support you will reach new levels of good singing very fast.

Good to have you here.

Doc
  • Options
    HardRockGuruHardRockGuru 2.0 PRO Posts: 12
    Thank you all so much for your warm welcome! It's great to be here and I can definitely say I feel my support mechanism and my understanding thereof developing a lot more fully. Can't wait to start putting it into action!

Sí, yo he estudiado el español desde la escuela primaria y he seguido a desarollarlo a través del colegio y la universidad en mis clases y con Duolingo. Sin embargo, mi especialización es el oriente medio, asi que mis idiomas más fuertes son el árabe, el perso y el turco. También he usado Duolingo para el ruso, el francés y el chino.