Home Off Topic

Students who only used the course (no direct lessons)

Mark_AzziMark_Azzi 2.0 PRO Posts: 40
edited November 2019 in Off Topic
This will most likely be the last post I make before I either buy the course or go in another direction. I should give you some background info. I'm 16 years old. Whether or not I get the course will come down to whether or not I can talk my parents into it. My father is very hesitant. He's a professor and doesn't believe that "distance education" can work. I discussed it with him, and I think the best way to show that the course works would be examples of great singers that haven't had any lessons with Ken through Skype or in person. Are there any notable KTVA students who haven't had any direct lessons with Ken? If so, who are they?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    edited November 2019
    It's definately possible! I'm one of them, I hope to do a comparison video in a few days of my start and where I've come after a year. I'll keep you posted 🙂
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited November 2019
    Hi @Mark_Azzi,

have you seen Florent's videos? - To my knowledge he hasn't had any lessons with Ken:

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/12479/alright-now-and-the-sound-of-silence#

He posted the demos recently. To my opinion they are very good. I am from Germany and, like Wigs, a distant learner. Together with these Forums the course is a real gold mine. And have you seen all the posts by @Diego. He worked for nearly 6 years with Ken's free videos on Youtube and had great progress with them. Since he is now on the course he is going through the roof. Here is his latest demo:

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/12182/time-waits-for-no-one-freddie-mercury-cover#

I think Diego is a very good example of successful online learning. I like this demo a lot. Diego never had any lesson with Ken.

Hope that helps to convince your father.

Regards,
    Doc (49 yo, father of 4, medical doctor)
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    Hi Mark, I am on the course now for almost exactly a year, and I had no skype lessons. I am most certainly not a "notable student", but I know I have improved a lot. My bandmates can vouch for it. I wish I had started the course when I was your age (I am 39 now).

I see how people might struggle with the "remote" concept. But this forum makes up for a lot of it by letting you get feedback from other singers who are more advanced.

For the price of the course, you could maybe get a few weeks worth of lessons with your local coach, but let's face it, there are a lot of bad ones around; who might actually talk you out of singing if you aren't a natural talent, there are lots of stories like that floating around, when really, they are just bad at teaching. When in fact, everyone can learn it.

For me, doing the course also helped me become more disciplined in related fields (guitar practice, ear training, music theory). All of these, I also do them by myself, without a teacher, and no one would find it strange to take online guitar lessons.

The course will only work if you put in the effort. Even with a good offline teacher, you will need to practice (almost) daily, which you will be doing without the coach on 5-6 out of 7 days per week anyway.

I also think @Diego is a great example of what the course can do, and there are many other good ones, although I am not sure if they had skype lessons. But even if they take skype lessons, they will spend the bulk of their time working by themselves.

You will surely not regret getting the course, if you and your father decide to get it. Good luck :)

• bonvie56bonvie56 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 55
    @Mark_Azzi ,
    Online learning, in the case of KTVA is an incredibly efficient way to learn. Having had several 'real life-in-the-flesh' vocal coaches, and quitting each in frustration after a short time, I have found that Ken's course is something that I come back to because I WANT TO, rather than HAVE TO. 47 years ago, in college, my first instruction lasted 1 semester...enough to barely pass the class (I was terrible!). That left me with few options where I live...my last 'live' coach was very, very good, and a terrific person, but specialized in theater-type singing, for which I have zero interest. An online search led to Ken's YouTube videos, which led to this course, which led to this forum...the sum of which has made the learning process extremely enjoyable. I have not had any Skype sessions, as the course gives you the tremendous advantage of being able to replay any and all exercises and instructional videos until you 'get it.' Then if there is still a question, the terrific moderators and others on this forum always get you pointed back in the right direction. That's not to say I won't schedule a Skype. But for me, singing is an enjoyable hobby, not a profession, so for now anyway, it doesn't seem necessary.
    Bottom Line? Singing lessons with a live coach get very expensive in a hurry...lesson fees, transportation, inflexible scheduling, etc. In a months time it's easy to spend way more than the total cost of KTVA. The value of KTVA is lightyears ahead of anything else I've found, because of low cost, incredible content, and super results! GO FOR IT!! :smiley:
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    edited November 2019
    Distance / remote learning most definitely work. That is how most of the skills are learned nowadays. Think about this: Training the singing is like going to a gym. You can have a personal trainer pushing you on each workout, but that will cost a fortune. Most of the people learn by video instructions, asking questions and making adjustments based on the suggestions and listening to your body. Important part is keeping log (recording yourself), and analyzing if you're getting better and what to change next. Most important thing in working out in gym or singing is putting the effort into it. If you practice with singing teacher once a week, your progress will be nothing compared to doing Kens workouts 5 times a week. What a live teacher tells you, is very hard to comprehend on the spot. With Kens videos you can (and should) re-watch them often because you will pick up new nuances each time. There is like 100 dimensions in singing, and you can learn only 1 or 2 at time. Whatever you see him saying in the video the first time you watch it, is totally different than lets say 6 months later.
  • Mark_AzziMark_Azzi 2.0 PRO Posts: 40
    Thanks everyone. I think I won him over. 1-2 days until I get the course.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hi Mark, congratulations :) great decision.

looking forward to see you here more often then!
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Thats great news!!!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Great News, Mark. You will love the course. Probably you will join our assignments, soon. Doc