Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Options

Hello From Indiana USA

:) Hi everyone, I am a strong soprano who sings in whatever local church choir can use me, and I often feel like I should be 3 people...everybody wants me, lol. They appreciate me and I often carry most of the soprano line, since the others either can't hit the high notes or they just hang back.

I had no idea Ken even existed until I went in search of something, anything, that would help me with The Ohio Valley Curse of postnasal drip... I am healthy and so I don't believe the trouble is chronic sinusitis as so many people have. What I do have is just enough of a nuisance that whenever I'm ready to sing (and I do a lot of singing) I become more aware of the need to cough and *ahem, AHEM* clear my throat. That latter is considered a NO NO and yet, so many of us habitually do it. The choir loft can sound like a TB ward sometimes! I found Ken's video about how to care for your throat if you have these problems. I'm thinking of trying a couple of those items in a desperate hope of getting relief from dryness, hoarseness, tightness, and the creeping crud! Next, I discovered the other videos about the mechanics of singing. :o I was gobsmacked! I always thought good singing was about breathing, opening the throat, laying off dairy products, avoiding singing out in the cold, and pushing past nerves and stage fright (been there, done that, ages ago). As for the truly GREAT singers, I assumed they were just supremely gifted beyond those of us who are more ordinary. Now I find that I know very little, after all! Sooooo much more to learn! I am considered a very good singer but I know that I can improve, and I need to improve, in order to sound better, expand my range, and also not feel fatigue and tight muscles after only 10-15 minutes if I'm in a concert.

I expect to be around the forum a lot from now on, not only learning from Ken but from all the others out there trying to improve what abilities they do have ;) Cheers, Krystal

Comments

• Options
    VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,602
    @Krytsal

Welcome to the forum from the UK plenty of friendly help and advice here to help you onto the path of improved singing and are you planning to join the course?

Vocality :)
  • Options
    KrystalKrystal Member Posts: 34
    Vocality said:

@Krytsal

Welcome to the forum from the UK plenty of friendly help and advice here to help you onto the path of improved singing and are you planning to join the course?

Vocality :)

Not certain yet. I don’t have much free money or free time. But I so, so want to improve my singing. I’m good but I know I can be better!
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Hello and welcome :smile:

There are many like minded people here, you should check out the demo areas to see what other people doing, maybe put something up your self? :smile:
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Krystal,

a warm Welcome also from Germany. It is great to have you here. I would love to see you here very often.

Doc
  • Options
    Wigs said:

Hello and welcome :smile:

There are many like minded people here, you should check out the demo areas to see what other people doing, maybe put something up your self? :smile:

Yes! I can do that. I have one fairly good youtube video from a church performance, a friend and I did this duet. Everyone who’s seen it thought it was great but...I dunno, whether it was me or the iPad audio at fault. Personally I thought my highest notes were a tad screechy. As for the arrangement, it was my idea to create a medley of 2 hymns. But our pianist couldn’t transpose to make things smoother. But that wasn’t the real issue. From my POV the main prob is sometimes my highs sound a bit strained. I can be relaxed, or I think I am, and yet dryness and tightness can kill the effect. So, where can I embed a video? Or can YT videos be shown here?

At least when/if you see my video, you will agree that that little woman has guts, LOL

• Options

Hi @Krystal,

a warm Welcome also from Germany. It is great to have you here. I would love to see you here very often.

Doc

Oh, you will! Thanks... I have a million questions...and many comments which I trust might be helpful to others.

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I find copying the YouTube URL and pasting it here works a treat. Looking forward to it 🙂
  • Options
    Wigs said:

I find copying the YouTube URL and pasting it here works a treat. Looking forward to it 🙂

Yes, it was very simple to copy and paste. My video is up... It isn’t horrible but is a long way from what I’d like it to be. I’m only critiquing myself, not my singing partner.