Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Greetings!

NickWNickW 2.0 PRO Posts: 153
Hi! I am Nick, from the Netherlands. Saw the youtube vids, bought the full package. :) Just dowloaded the clips and watched the first 6 vids or so, so far so good and i am excited!

I was afraid tho, and i guess its inescapable, i will be the terror of the building block (neighbours in all directions and not so sound proof). I already owned string instruments, got a piano recently and now i am (hesitantly) belting triads... (I got a pillow now to belt in otherwise i cant let go. ..) If anybody has practical tips on how to do the course in an appartment building and minimizing collateral i would be very grateful..!

My singing experience is limited to the car (where i belt for sure), the shower (where all sound limits are off :) ) some open mic sessions and a dozen or so real singing classes. Ah yes and a year of living in Japan and its karaoke towers. My goal, ultimately, is nearing my full potential, finding my voice and expressing it. How where and when im sure will sort itself.

In any case, great to be here, look forward checking out the posts!

Nick

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Nice to meet you mate, I'm Chris from Australia. I was similar to you in buying the course after watching only a few of the YouTube videos🙂 start off slowly because there is way more to learn than what it seems in the beginning. Sounds like you like to sing the powerful stuff, I don't have any tips about practicing in apartment blocks unfortunately but make sure you aren't shouting full volume during the exercises. That's bad!

Welcome to the course 👍🏼
  • NickWNickW 2.0 PRO Posts: 153
    Wigs said:

Nice to meet you mate, I'm Chris from Australia. I was similar to you in buying the course after watching only a few of the YouTube videos🙂 start off slowly because there is way more to learn than what it seems in the beginning. Sounds like you like to sing the powerful stuff, I don't have any tips about practicing in apartment blocks unfortunately but make sure you aren't shouting full volume during the exercises. That's bad!

Welcome to the course 👍🏼

Thank you for the advice ill take it slow :) No worries about the volume, im not so loud (do like yes) in my home but i have to go past the speaking register sometimes, i guess for the high notes. But you know, al these ladders i am pretty sure my neighbours hear like 20-60% of it and it is a background noise that can become a bit annoying - like a starting violin player nextdoor ;)
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Nick, @NickW

welcome on board. I am Marco, a neighbor from Germany. I started the course 16 months ago. I was so proud that I could sing a few notes when I started that I was constantly oversinging. Start lightly, Nick. The longer you are on the course the more you will understand that your goal is to control your voice in every means.

When you watch the videos listen to Ken's voice in comparison to his light guitar playing. It might "sound" like Ken is singing with a lot of power. But actually he isn't. Hold your horses and try not to sing TOO loud.

Doc
    Hello my friendly neighbour! Thanks for the advice, good to know and ill be mindful of that. Also i will try to contain myself haha.

But i may have misunderstood the meaning of belting initially. I dont think i am screaming out loud too much, but the appartment building is from the 70's with concrete and it has great but unwanted accoustics. So even moderate la la la LA la la la's may is probably heard, which i imagine is annoying if they hear it daily. My neighbour who is a starting flute player takes most of the heat though i think ;)

The first week and a half have been interesting, i have found ways to practice. Yes the pillow sometimes, but i take the car more than the bicycle in order to practice ;) I know its not ideal sitting and driving (but hey i used to do 4 hour karaoke session driving to belgium every week.) but it works for now. I know i have to do the starting audio workouts the first 2-3 weeks but nearin the end of week too today i had a sneak peak into the regular volume 1 workout.

Finally, the lip thing seems near impossible - on my list is to search the forum threads for Q&A on this.

Thanks guys!
    edited December 2019
    Maybe its fun to post this as a baseline: prior to the course i got an audio receiver and i fiddled around with it creating this song with my ukelele, bariton and two octaves of singing. Obviously i struggle both on the lower and higher end, but ill sing it again in a few months!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtO7b1DDzooC-hj6p_5mV2MJsBTa

or

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1blYvX46UUip53b6s_C6v1wlP_9mwcIf5
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Nick, @NickW

you should definitely keep this recording and listen to it in one year. You will be blown away, believe me.

Doc