Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

New Student, Alto

Hi, I just found out I am an Alto voice. Anyone here been able to stretch to a higher range with lessons? Thank you for your response.

Comments

• MikeyParentMikeyParent 2.0 PRO Posts: 42
    Thats pretty high for a male but low for a female... you're female I assume?
  • Maroon101Maroon101 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
    Aha! Yes, you are right I am a female. I am disappointed to find out that I am the lowest vocal range. My voice teacher of only a week told me we can increase it though. I sang a Gloria Estafan song-- "Rythme is Gonna get ya' for her the other day and loved singing it with no problem. What voice range are you?
    I am a Baritone so I feel ya - tenors sound SO much more impressive LOL
  • Hi @Maroon101,

Well, you have one example of someone who has stretched their range to higher notes: Ken! :) He is a high-baritone who has trained to sing right up to the soprano range, and well enough to demonstrate to sopranos what excellent vocal tone in that range sounds like.

I think all of us are a little envious of the ranges of other singers. Before I began KTVA, I thought I was a soprano and felt disappointed that all the pop and rock that I wanted to sing was too low for me. I wanted to sing with those lovely rich, warm tones that altos have.

Luckily, KTVA basically throws range limits out of the window. :smiley: Your voice will stretch, in both directions, as you work through the course. It feels great to suddenly have access to these notes that were elusive before. It will happen for you, too. :)
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    But I love the sound of a good alto voice!
    Thank you for all of the encouragement. I might be bold one day and sing a song here for you. But for now, it is all work.
    Sophia said:

Hi @Maroon101,

Well, you have one example of someone who has stretched their range to higher notes: Ken! :) He is a high-baritone who has trained to sing right up to the soprano range, and well enough to demonstrate to sopranos what excellent vocal tone in that range sounds like.

I think all of us are a little envious of the ranges of other singers. Before I began KTVA, I thought I was a soprano and felt disappointed that all the pop and rock that I wanted to sing was too low for me. I wanted to sing with those lovely rich, warm tones that altos have.

Luckily, KTVA basically throws range limits out of the window. :smiley: Your voice will stretch, in both directions, as you work through the course. It feels great to suddenly have access to these notes that were elusive before. It will happen for you, too. :)

Thank you for your help. I will keep trying:)
    Thank you for your help I will keep trying :) I wrote this at the bottom of your post but just trying to understand where to post. I will get it.
  • seekerseeker Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 83

TBH I envy baritiones, I am a tenor but I absolutely suck. Like my tone is pretty crap, I sing in a very monotonous way, I can neither sing the tenor songs nor I am able to sing the baritone songs cause then my tone is airy and hollow.
  • KenfromCZKenfromCZ Member Posts: 43
    @Maroon101
    Since listening to Ken Tamplin singing, I think there not exist baritone or alt. Exist only the sing. Shyness and healthy self-criticism is a characteristic of every reasonable person. Forget it and put your singing here!
    seeker said:

TBH I envy baritiones, I am a tenor but I absolutely suck. Like my tone is pretty crap, I sing in a very monotonous way, I can neither sing the tenor songs nor I am able to sing the baritone songs cause then my tone is airy and hollow.
    I think this goes to show that we covet what we don’t have lol

A lot people with straight hair wish for curly hair and people with curly hair wish they had straighter hair lol
    Can someone tell me? Do you think that having voice lessons once a week is necessary along with Ken Tamplin's Pro package lessons?? I am not trying to say that Ken Tamplin is not enough, I am not saying anything. I guess what I want to know is, has anyone just did the Ken Tamplin Pro WITHOUT VOICE LESSONS from a weekly instructor and did well without the guidance of a weekly in-person voice instructor?? I am not sure yet if I need to pay for my instructor with all of the DVD'S and online support I have here. Please be honest as to what you think about it. I appreciate it. Thank you!
  • If you can find a vocal teacher who knows Ken's method inside out and who will teach it to you without mixing it up with advice from other sources, then it won't hurt to have in-person lessons. You don't need any other lessons with this course, not even from Ken: it is designed to be complete, and to last you a lifetime. I think the majority of students here do not have weekly in-person lessons. You've already paid for the best, and the forums are an enormous bonus resource.
    Thank you, Sophia, I was hoping to hear that. I want to quit the weekly and be my own guidance with Kens Pro Package DVD'S. I guess the most important thing is to make sure that I stay self-motivated. Doing it this way will certainly save money as well. I appreciate such a fast response but I would have patiently waited for it.
  • ALEXDEITEMEYERALEXDEITEMEYER Member Posts: 68
    To be honest with you, most female singers these days are high altos or contraltos. Such as Christina Aguilera, Kelly Clarkson, Mariah Carey, Jennifer Hudson, Pink, Toni Braxton, Miley Cyrus, Ann Wilson, Aretha Franklin, Joan Jett, Pat Benetar, Sia. But don’t be disappointed, they have been able to stretch their chest voice and mixed voice up into the second soprano and first soprano range, so it definitely is possible for you to do so as well. I’m a low tenor and I’ve been able to stretch my mixed voice up to a B5 and C6 on my best days when doing warm ups and been able to apply some of these notes in my singing as well. Wish you the best.