Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

recognizing sound

Hello
I got this problem yesterday. I'm a begginer singer (i guess m a singer) and my vocal teacher said before song you need to recognize and catch the sound if you can't tone deaf may be the reason but the thing is , she is not telling me any exercise or anyother way to train my ear, she is just like, sing out this note, sing out that note ohhhh you can't... too bad

please help me in someway to train my ear and solve this hurdle. I'm not ready to loose my hope yet.

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hi, ah, some of these vocal teachers really know how to motivate you, don't they!

you can train your ear, you need to be patient but it will definitely work. I suggest this page/app:

https://tonedear.com/ear-training/intervals

The link goes to the interval training, but there are plenty more exercises, I think this one is the most basic and suitable for you now at this point. Sing along with the piano to really make the connection between hearing and singing the interval. I suggest you start with around 100 questions per session, 5-6 days a week. (10-20 minutes would be ideal if you can motivate yourself). Don't be discouraged by low points in the beginning, you will improve after a few weeks. here is how to practice in more detail: https://tonedear.com/ear-training/how-to-practice

also, where it says "show advanced settings", hit the "auto proceed" button, it will be much quicker this way! you see what I mean when you use the quiz.

good luck!
  • priyapriya Member Posts: 7
    First of i thank you to show any kind of help regarding my issue and second i'll do my best to change my instructor's opinion
    Thankyou so much
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    edited January 2020
    Many vocal instructors just don't know how to teach people to pitch. They never had the issue themselves and could just pitch without training. Even Ken's program initially lacked any sort of pitch training (it was added in and is included in his full course now). It could be just as simple as your vocal teacher doesn't know how to teach you this. I'd find a new instructor to be honest with you or even recommend investing in Ken's program if you want to go it alone for awhile (but with the support of this forum).

Just my two cents but any vocal instructor worth the money ought to be able to teach a person how to pitch properly.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    I recently bought the Ear Training course by Lucas David Burge after it was recommended by a mate to me. That course is hugh: almost 50 CDs of lessons and exercises. I LOVE it.

Doc
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Klaus, this is my personal opinion: ABSOLUTELY! I I am so grateful that our mate @NeilKenSinger told me about it. It needs time, but I can tell you that it is worth it. What KTVA is for Singing, this course is for Hearing. But you will really have to spend time on it. I recommend it.

Doc
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    I found some useful info because I was having trouble recognising minor 2nd from major 2nd, read up on YouTube that if you listen carefully beating sound when the 2 notes are played on the minor 2nd beating sound is much faster than the major 2nd which is significantly slower. This alone helped a lot and other intervals have similar characteristics.

My progress on relative pitch is now static 50 - 60 % correct, hoping my research will help to get me back on track. If not my need to take the @doc_ramadani advice and go for his recommendation!

Vocality
    thanks Marco, I will consider getting it myself! @doc_ramadani