Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Elton John solo piano/vocal

Hi everyone! Can you please give me your opinion. I'm considering dropping the drums on my songs and just performing gigs as a solo piano player/vocalist (at least to get myself started and be independent). How do you think it sounds without drums?

Thanks! Michael

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvqpmhkVjP-MiTDM8biy3Zngjjzx

@HuduVudu @doc_ramadani @Vocality @bentk @iking @Diego @highmtn @Gaston_Jauregui @Sophia @victortang @Klaus_T @Furious_Phil @Ken Tamplin @Wigs @Maximus3000 @Jáchym @cwcw @reallydanny @SlaySomething @Rick_amateur @samw2019 @blondiewales @maximgottmer

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Sounds nice, Michael. I think you would do fine as a solo.

I would like to hear you sustain those "Ah-m St-ehl StAAndehn's". The short I'm's could be held and nailed a little longer. Don't be afraid of those F# 4's.

Your voice and style continues to grow.

Rock on.

Bob
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Good job @Michael4000 You are getting better each time!
    I think it sounds pretty neat. I actually like this without drums. I think this is a song made for soloing on the piano.
    There may be others that may need drums. It will all depend on the music you play.

Keep it up!
  • maximgottmermaximgottmer 2.0 PRO Posts: 313
    Nice and steady @Michael4000.
    Sounds like a solid voice To me. Good job.
    I agree On @highmtn that the f Sharp 4 are a bit short.
    Maxim
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited January 2020
    hi Michael, you muted the drums on this one, right? as opposed to playing it without the drums in the first place?

If so, I would like to hear a version that you perform at your own pace so to speak. because you wouldn't play solo to a click. it would give you more "freedom" in the timing.

I enjoy your voice and playing, so definitely go for the solo thing. I am not a big fan of using prerecorded things on stage (for style reasons but also practicality), so if it's 100% live I think that is the way to go. you could then perform this set wherever there is a lonely piano in the corner
  • KenfromCZKenfromCZ Member Posts: 43
    edited January 2020
    @Michael4000 My opinion is to reduce the voice volume by 10%. And raise the piano by 10%. All others is perfect. For many beginning singers the drums are unpleasant. Because they can't hear themselves almost. From my own experience.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hey mate,

it is very good to have you here again. I want to be completely honest, I LIKE that you did that version without the drums. And I also like that you transposed this version 2 semitones down. It sounds really, really good that way. I don't think that you need that artificial keyboard drums. Your voice and and your piano are enough.

Some months ago you told me that you will stop copying others singers and try to find you own voice. I can tell you that you did very well on that. I can hear Michael singing a Billy Joel song in his own voice. I DO NOT hear some guy trying to sound like Billy Joel.

I think I will have to come to New York and must visit the bar you are playing in. Good job, Michael. I really enjoyed it.

Marco

@Diego @KenfromCZ thanks, I prefer this without drums as well

@maximgottmer thanks for this feedback!

@Klaus_T I played this to a click track, but yes I agree that I need to wean myself off that because I will not be performing live with a click track. I think the idea is to get the timing ingrained with a click track during practice and then practice without the click track so you are prepared for a life performance without a click track.

@doc_ramadani This is a huge compliment, thank you. It's really hard trying to find your own voice, as I'm sure you well know. I've still got a long way to go but I've come a long way thanks to KTVA and members on this forum.

• bonvie56bonvie56 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 55
    NIce job Michael!
    It sounds good without drums. The piano is enough of a percussion instrument on its own, especially with that left hand hammering on the bass line. Also...you can think of your left hand as your own personal rhythm section...eliminating the need for click tracks. It sounds to me like you're already there!
    If you are playing and singing at the same time, that is very impressive, as it takes a lot of energy, and also because sitting at the piano is not the greatest position to get the most out of your voice...it takes so much more support to be able to sing well while sitting down.
    I am curious...is that a miked acoustic piano or a keyboard? Some of these keyboards are sounding so good that at times it's hard to tell.
    Keep up the great work Micheal!
    ~~Dan (pianist for 55 years and counting...without a click track :wink: )
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hi Michael, yeah, that's the way to go! you could still do runs without the click to establish "your" tempo, then set the click to this tempo.
    @bonvie56 thanks! This is a keyboard. Studiologic Numa compact 2x