Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!
Options

Looking for feedback on some songs I’ve recorded

Hello, my name is Joel Rose and I’ve been creating music at home as an outlet and a hobby for 20+ years now. I have no proper training, and none of it is properly mixed or mastered, etc. I’ve recorded all my stuff at home on my computer. I watched a bunch of Ken’s videos back in the day to get me started with things, so I figured I could start this potential journey here. I apologize for my lengthy post.

I haven’t really worked on anything in a decade due to health issues and taking care of my mom, and I was hoping I could get some feedback on a few tracks of my most recent efforts.

Unfortunately I’ve lost the original files for all my music a few years back in a computer crash, so the existing stuff I can’t really modify, it just is what it is at this point. I’d like to put it up online to see if there’s any interest in it, and maybe motivate me to get back into making more.

This stuff is incredibly indie and lo-fi, and I’ve tried numerous different styles over the years with singing. I use whispers, distortion effects, etc. A friend of mine wrote a guitar piece for the first track I have in the link. The others are more experimental, including a cover of the rock song Pet Semetary by The Ramones (horror movie fan). With these songs I tried to embrace the fact that I had little to no money to spend on my hobby, and thought something with a real guerrilla production might be cool and artistic, or maybe at the least an interesting novelty. I picked up an old Roland JV30 synthesizer/keyboard for $20 at a flea market, and made all the music by manually playing the keyboard for each element (drums, bass, etc.), and layering them together with an audio program on my computer. I use some sound effects here and there, and some effects on the vocals, but otherwise, it’s pretty raw.

Some of it sounds ok, and some of it sounds weird/bad/off. I also can’t tell if I’m in tune or not. I’ve been doing things entirely by ear all these years.

Thank you so much I’m advance for giving this a listen. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this.

Here are the tracks:

Comments

• Options
    KenfromCZKenfromCZ Member Posts: 43
    If they played it on the radio, I wouldn't even notice it was an amateur recording.
  • Options
    Jrose2020Jrose2020 Member Posts: 3
    KenfromCZ said:

If they played it on the radio, I wouldn't even notice it was an amateur recording.

Thanks for giving it a listen sir
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I think you start singing again. If you can set a side time throughout the week to practice, watch some of Kens older videos to get a routine going to see if it suits you. The program is well worth the money and will last you years and will give you the ability to turbo charge your voice.

There's definately something there 🙂
  • Options
    Jrose2020Jrose2020 Member Posts: 3
    Wigs said:

I think you start singing again. If you can set a side time throughout the week to practice, watch some of Kens older videos to get a routine going to see if it suits you. The program is well worth the money and will last you years and will give you the ability to turbo charge your voice.

There's definately something there 🙂

Thanks for giving it a listen. I’m definitely considering taking on the program in the near future.
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    just keep doing it! it sounds good.