Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Ray Charles- I got a Woman (piano/vocal)

Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
Hi All, Can you please give me some feedback on this recording? Thanks and please tag me if you'd like me to give something of yours a listen-- I don't have a lot of time to browse through the forum these days, but I will definitely respond if you tag me on something!

Thanks, Michael

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvqpmhkVjP-MiTuX8S90qKfJkmnp

@HuduVudu @doc_ramadani @Vocality @bentk @iking @Diego @highmtn @Gaston_Jauregui @Sophia @victortang @Klaus_T @Furious_Phil @Ken Tamplin @Wigs @Maximus3000 @Jáchym @cwcw @reallydanny @SlaySomething @Rick_amateur @samw2019 @blondiewales @maximgottmer @KenfromCZ @bonvie56

Comments

• KenfromCZKenfromCZ Member Posts: 43
    Some very short notes are not in intonation. But color of voice during a entire song is almost professional. Next, High intonation and his color is without error.
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    @KenfromCZ Thanks! Which notes are not in tune? (the word and time stamp)
  • KenfromCZKenfromCZ Member Posts: 43
    From 1:50 to 2:04 in short notes it sounds weird.
    @KenfromCZ thank you for this specific feedback
  • bonvie56bonvie56 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 55
    @Michael4000,
    Thanks for tagging me on your demo! Don't hear much of this genre in here, and I was picturing you rocking back and forth at the piano in true Ray Charles' fashion! I listened to your recording once, then listened to Ray's performance of this song at the Miami Concert for Lighthouse for the Blind on YT, then listened to yours a second time.
    I think you did a great job capturing the feel of the piece, especially without orchestral support. Ray Charles had a very gritty way of presenting his musical stories, and that's tough to duplicate. Your pitch was on and your timing was too. While watching the YT video of Ray doing this song, I could see that he was hardly ever using much air. You sounded like you may have been using a lot more at high notes.
    Ray was a killer blues pianist who was usually backed up by a large orchestra. All of that instrumental support makes it sound different than just vocal and piano. Again, I think you did a nice job with just you and the keys!
    I feel motivated to go looking for my old Ray Charles vinyl records...
    ~~Dan
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    @Michael4000 Pretty cool!
    I liked it, but I feel you need to pour in even more emotion in as Ray was a very passionate singer. More gusto into what you're saying haha.
    You did a good job with the piano, it fit really well with what you were doing. Nothing I can really point out other than that (other members have already pointed out other stuff).
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Michael, @Michael4000

I know that you want a precise feedback what to work on. Therefore I know that you will classify my criticism very well.

You sing the correct notes (mostly) and use the correct timing but the performance overall sounds a little bit choppy. I miss the "flow" of the song a little bit. Here is something you could try:

When recording the song put a delay (1/8) on you voice. This might help you to get a more vibrant feeling to the performance.

Doc
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hi Michael, great job, once again. can't find anything to critique in the singing, if you have a piano preset that does not sound as "modern" as this one, I would use it. maybe just my taste ;) well done