Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

a-ha Take On Me cover - my first "before KTVA" recording

Although I signed up a few weeks ago, I've held off doing the exercises or watching the videos until I get a couple of benchmark recordings done. I want to have recorded evidence of "before KTVA". After a few months of exercises, I'll make a few more recordings and compare. (I'm not sure if I can truly call this a "before" because I have watched a few of Ken's YouTube videos. That's how I found out about KTVA in the first place.)

Here's an a-ha cover. I have several thoughts on what's wrong (bad habits) and things that can be improved, but I'll keep quiet about it for now.

EDIT: Why this song? One of my goals is to be able to sing some of my most favorite 80's tunes. I chose this one first because of the high note (E5). Until two months ago, I honestly (and, yes, quite naively) thought that one should NOT use falsetto for singing except for certain specific styles (such as a Bee Gees tune). The evening I discovered Ken's videos on Youtube, one of the first I watched was on "head voice", bridging, and matching tone with chest voice. Suddenly, with Ken's "permission" to use head voice in everyday singing, my potential song repertoire exploded! If you notice that smile in my video after one the high note phrases, it's because I'm so pleased that this song, which I once believed to be impossible, may be in my reach. It's a thank-you and a nod to Ken.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eUk-WD_I9c3YoAzFqra_8GaHJRL67d--/view?usp=sharing

Is Google Drive how I should share these? I see many people uploading their demos on YouTube. Would this cover get taken down for copyright issues? Are you allowed to do your own covers of songs on YT?

-Adam

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hi Adam, nice cover! yes sharing like you did is fine. i think YT just demonitizes the video if it has copyrighted content. i never use it for uploads so not sure 100%.

i think your starting point is great and you will get better very quickly if you do the exercises properly
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    edited January 2020
    As far as covers getting taken down it’s going to vary from artist to artist. Some don’t mind or even encourage covers of their song for the additional exposure their song gets. Others don’t and will have your covers pulled from platforms. I haven’t found any resource that lists which artists are okay with it and which aren’t so I just upload anyways and if it gets removed so be it.

Edit:
    Finally had a chance to listen to your singing. Good job my man! I'm excited to see how your voice will grow over time!
  • Adam164Adam164 2.0 PRO Posts: 92
    I've learned quite a bit in the last couple of weeks. I can definitely see the most glaring issues with my cover of this song. First, I don't have enough support. I can see (and hear) that there is tension, especially near the top of chest voice before I flip into head voice. The next prominent issue is I'm not using vowel modifications. That contributes to the strain / tension, and it also alters the overall sound (from the original singer's tone).

People I've shown this video to have made similar comments such as: "Oh, I never understood all of the lyrics before". I think that must be a side effect of not applying vowel mods where appropriate. The words may be clearer, but the sound is less musical. I'm thinking of Ken's examples where he demonstrates singing while simultaneously enunciating the words. (Some of this could also have to do with Morten Harket's native language being Norwegian.)

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Impressive! You have a really good base line to work from, keep an open mind and you'll be rocking this song like you never thought possible. Well done!

We also have the same mic 🎤
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited February 2020
    Hi Adam, @Adam164

wow, that is a great starting point. You have a very pleasant tenor tone to your voice. I think you have a very good musical ear.

You made a very wise choice to buy the course. And you chose the Course + ProPacks. Very wise choice.

I think your self-analysis is correct: you are singing a lot from the throat and use a lot of air. If you start the exercises have a close look on the support videos.

I am really curios to see you growing through the Volumes. You can have a great voice.

Doc