Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Storytelling and dealing with the emotions it conveys

PhMarnePhMarne 2.0 PRO Posts: 201
Hey there,

Ken's video on great singers emphasizes storytelling as a key component of great performances - which is also comfirmed by the tremendous success of MCR's Return tour

Great storytelling surely makes great performances - how do I deal with the flow of emotions that come along with singing and impersonating this story ?

I guess diaphragmatic support can come in handy there too, since stomach breathing is used for relaxation in general...

Thanks for sharing

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    how do I deal with the flow of emotions that come along with singing and impersonating this story ?
    what exactly do you mean by that? you mean if you are overwhelmed by the emotions? or, how do you make it sound like you feel them?
  • PhMarnePhMarne 2.0 PRO Posts: 201
    Mainly not to be overwhelmed, but both are true, because I fail to convey emotions without feeling them
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Not naming any songs here, but i there was this one song that "broke" me every time i tried to sing certain part of it. I was facing the same situation you described. Recipe for me was number of repeats. I got over it and never though of it again until i saw this topic. I'm not cold when i sing it, but it does not overwhelm me anymore.
    not being overwhelmed: that's a tough one. @Dogmeat I have that with one song. I am actually gonna name it, if you accept the challenge you can also tell us your's ;) Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits. It's also when I listen to it but not as much. mainly the last verse. haven't played it often enough for it to wear off...

it also has to do with the lyrics. i find it hard to sing songs you have no connection with.

i think anything you can do in terms of "acting skills" is the key for the other half of your question. if you don't connect with the song then maybe you can "play it". i think maybe I would just avoid songs that you have no connection with wherever possible

also, i find that these little "ahs" and "ohs" can help carry emotions, you know as if in pain or such, between phrases. maybe you can also use certain vocal tones for the same effect (head voice=maybe sounds more vulnerable if it's a male vocalist. chest voice=more "manly", distortion=rage; just an idea, maybe not the best examples here)
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    It was: Pink - Dear mr President. Quite emotional lyrics. As for us non-native speakers many times you don't "get the text" when listening to it, but when you start singing it they might struck in different light. At least that happens to me. Of course unfortunate events like dead of a dear person would hugely affect emotions for a certain time. You can hear that tragedy/ after dead lyrics pretty much everywhere you look. They move people in deeper level.
    @DogMeat didn't know the song, thanks! it's really good, and I see what you mean!
  • PhMarnePhMarne 2.0 PRO Posts: 201
    For the time being, the song that makes me cry is Bulletproof heart by My Chemical romance
    But it doesn't quite fit the topic because I am absolutely not able to sing it properly
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    For me it was "Fields of Gold by Sting"
    It deals with mortality and what one leaves behind... Again, I got through it via repetition and breath control. The same type of square breathing I use to keep steady during times of stress.
  • Repetition and focus on technique is what worked for me, too. The two songs that always choked me up before were Born in the USA (on the line, "They're still there, he's all gone") and I See Fire by Ed Sheeran.
    @Sophia right that I see Fire has good potential in that field, I noticed it on the assignment last year!