Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Hyper Lowered Larynx? (2 Audio Samples)

Hello everyone, I'm 19 years old and I just started volume 1 a few days ago. I sent this audio sample in for analysis and Ken told me I was singing with my larynx way too low. It's a scale from C2 - C4 then going to head voice to C4 - C5. Then I sing a bit of Run - Snowpatrol   

I tried re-recording with a higher larynx. I'm not too sure how exactly to control my larynx but I just tried going for a less dopey and lighter sound. Please tell me if this is an improvement. Also you might be able to tell I'm straining a little bit on the chorus even though the highest notes are only about D and E above middle C. 

Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited March 2013

Yes,

The second version sounds better.  You can still make it much brighter. 

Stand in front of a mirror.  Look at your laryngeal prominence.  Now stick your tongue out and bring it back in.  See your larynx rise and fall?  Your tongue placement has a lot to do with where your larynx sits.  Things are all interconnected inside your throat. 

Now yawn in front of the mirror.  See what's happening with your larynx when you yawn?  So how open your throat is also influences where your larynx sits.

Now recall the feelings of your larynx as you moved your tongue and as you yawned.  Can you just move your larynx up and down based on those feelings?  Just zero in on what it feels like to raise and lower your larynx.

If you have a very large-diameter throat, you will possibly have a lower fundamental frequency to your overall vocal sound.  In order to sound more contemporary, you may need to put a lot of emphasis on the bright aspects of the voice.

Bob

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Hey there,

In your second demo your larynx is in a much more relaxed neutral position. Notice the brightness. That is what you should be shooting for. The lah demo in volume 1 is where it's at. That is the basic tone that you should be starting g
  • thornberrythornberry Pro Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. Right now I'm practicing making LAH exercises as bright as possible. It's quite shocking how this sound is the total opposite to how I've been singing.

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Yes it will be, but you will get used to it. My rule is if it sounds to bright to you, it's probably right.