Home Off Topic

Is it normal to lose your head voice after being sick?

ScreamingBanchieScreamingBanchie 2.0 PRO Posts: 22
edited February 2020 in Off Topic
A week ago I was sick with sore throat’s for about four days. Since then I feel better I’m not sick at all but I tried singing again I cannot go into falsetto its just airy sound and feels like I’m hiting a roof. How long will this last or what can I do? I can’t reach the top of my range anymore.

Best Answer

Answers

• VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @ScreamingBanchie

Heard this happen before it usually will come back may just be temporary. Give it a few days training and see how things work out.

Vocality
  • I have this exact issue.

I cannot go into falsetto its just airy sound and feels like I’m hitting a roof. My voice started improve a few days ago but now its doing it again. I've been doing the vol 1 exercises really carefully but can't go into head voice or false setto most exercises.

should i keep exercising gently or should i rest completely.

i have a really important show in about 4 weeks, and i've already had this issue for about 3-4 weeks. i'm freaking out.

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    edited October 2020
    @mikey_videotape : In my experience, the head voice is a more sensitive range as compared to the chest. It seems to be more susceptible to injury and for me, a bit more troublesome to regain.
    Hitting higher range head voice (>D5 for me) is a little like leaning back on a chair... it’s a very specific fold engagement to let it really soar unfettered... however, when the cords are inflamed, like you, all I get is that airy hoot when I try to access it.

Watch Ken’s cold recovery video for all the strategies he uses 👍🏻
  • thanks for that info phil. i got some glutathione supplements. should i rest or work out lightly though?
    edited October 2020
    It all depends on your malady.
    - If it is flu, then rest
    - If it is laryngitis, rest
    - If it is cold, go at it easy on Volume 1 or use Ken's new vocal Repair course

If it is only the after effects of a cold, there are more than a few exercises in Vol 1 that ENTs would give you to help repair and strengthen your vocal cords.

So in a nutshell, you need to nail down the cause.

Post sinus nasal drip:
    - Work on getting a grip on your allergies
    - Natural remedies or over the counter like Reactine etc
    - Bear in mind it also may be a food allergy!
    - Consider reducing intake of milk products for a start

Reflux (silent) that is scorching your vocal cords while you sleep:
    - Watch out for proton pump medicines as some can jack your blood pressure!!
    - Sleep on your left side so to not give your stomach a straight line to your throat
    - Raise the head of your bed a few inches
    - Don't eat spicy or tomato based foods late in the evening

Anything beyond that, you should really be seeing your ENT and get professional medical advice, as what I wrote are just a few common sense things that might help.

Cheers,

Phillip
  • Thanks so much for that
  • sorry to bug you again but can you link me to Ken's cold recovery video - i can't seem to find it.