Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Transition between chest and head voice

Hello everyone.I am new here.I wanted ask that whenever I am doing vocal exercises in higher chest voice or belting, it gets soo hard to switch into the head voice and if by chance I switch I loose the volume and gets that airy sound. But when I do it only in head voice i get good amount of volume with less air and more bright sound. Sooo how can i fix that ??

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    You are talking about negotiating the secundo passagio where the transition between chest and head happens. To grow this area, reduce your chest volume during the scale so that you don't have to drop the volume when you go into head. Over time you will be able to strengthen this so you can sing louder again. Also welcome 🙂
  • priyeshpalpriyeshpal Member Posts: 3
    Wigs said:

You are talking about negotiating the secundo passagio where the transition between chest and head happens. To grow this area, reduce your chest volume during the scale so that you don't have to drop the volume when you go into head. Over time you will be able to strengthen this so you can sing louder again. Also welcome 🙂

Oh wow. Tysm for the response and helping me with this. But when I drops the volume of my chest voice I don't get that desired full body resonance which we gets in belting out higher notes. So will it be okay ??
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    You can seperate your exercise in 2. One concentrating just on belting chest. The other negotiating your passagio into head voice. This is the best way to keep things balanced. If you don't start doing this now, then that awkward part will always be there. Good singing to you mate!
  • priyeshpalpriyeshpal Member Posts: 3
    Wigs said:

You can seperate your exercise in 2. One concentrating just on belting chest. The other negotiating your passagio into head voice. This is the best way to keep things balanced. If you don't start doing this now, then that awkward part will always be there. Good singing to you mate!

Okay dear. Tysm for ur advice, it was very helpful. ❤❤❤❤
  • Arty_HArty_H 2.0 PRO Posts: 9
    to continue the discussion - I understand that I need to lower the volume to go to the head voice smoothly, but then the transition will happen even before the call register. Is it OK for beginning?
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Arty, @Arty_H

yes, this is okay for the beginning. But you should try to stretch your chest voice as well. And if you do the bridging exercises in low volume try to bridge not too. Since you are male something around F#4/G5 would be a good starting point. Listen closely to the Audio exercises guided by Ken. Try to mimic his sound and try to figure out where he bridges.

Doc
  • Arty_HArty_H 2.0 PRO Posts: 9
    Thanks Doc, so, just to confirm my understanding - it is OK to have a difference in volume (which will obviously be there if I bridge at a high pitch), but bridging too low should better be avoided. The main thing I was worrying about is volume difference that Ken said shouldn't be there. But I could avoid it only if I bridged low. So if I could close my eyes on that and bridge higher, I guess my head voice will catch up with time...I'm just going on totally on faith here.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Arty, @Arty_H

yes, it is OK at the beginning. You will learn to even the volume levels over time. Don't get too confused about the bridge. It will take some time to be able to maneuver through the passaggio. Simply sing quieter when trying to bridge.

Remember that the main goal of Volumes 1 to 3 is to build a rock solid chest voice (while learning to keep the larynx open through the passaggio with the bridging exercises). But the focus is on building the chest voice with good control and breath management.

Whenever you have questions feel free to ask us.

Doc