Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method
Options

Development of voice

Have been doing the vocal exercises for a good year now and am currently doing the volume 3 audio workouts everyday now (some days lighter, some days heavier depending on how my vocal cords feel). I’ve definitely made quite a few improvements from doing the workouts regularly, but I was just very curious as to a professional opinion on the following questions:

1. If I were to keep practising the volume 3 workouts consistently would I keep improving or would I need to introduce some more audio workouts/variation? Do the important muscles keep strengthening even if I just stick to the same exercises?

2. Once I get to a certain level, let’s say after another year or even now, do the vocal cords and relevant muscles get weaker and you lose range if not kept up consistently

- Any other information on the physiology of why one improves from vocal exercises and exactly improvements are made and maintained would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    your question 2) i believe you would still have to maintain the schedule, Ken says you have to do it every day (minus the rest days). it is like bodybuilding in that way. you will gradually lose what you worked up to if you take a longer break

i think the answer to your first question about improving depends on whether you are practicing "perfectly". if you don't, you might ingrain bad habits that hinder your progress.

of course it is entirely up to you, but I would like to point out that it is best to work with this forum alongside your training, get regular feedback on how you are doing. you know you can post LAH scales for evaluation? this ensures you are not going down the wrong track for an extended period of time. just saying this because it is your first post, and you are already that far into the course.

your last question: you will grow the muscles, work on relaxation responses, build muscle memory and coordination. also, you train your ears for pitch a little bit along the way. by repeated (and "perfect") practice, your voice will grow
  • Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    You really have to keep up your voice. Eventually you will do a balanced workout for all aspects of the voice: bridging, chest stretching, mix voice, head voice etc. For me, i am at a point where i don't notice much more growth in range, but i do still grow in technique. I try to keep up all the hard work I've done, and still put in extra when possible/when i want. I must say that i don't do exercises every single day, and some weeks just simply fall away due to life. The take-away message from me is: never stop exercising.

Glad to hear you are getting results from KTVA. Keep it up!
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358