Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Blackbird (Alter Bridge) (First vocal cover using the smule app) (Feedback appreciated)

In this video, I am covering my first song using the Smule app. I chose the polish effect for this recording. Some feedback on this performance would be greatly appreciated. I hope you guys enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToD_nIM7ynw&t=123s

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Good control and vibrato when you hold the notes. Some pitch issues starting and ending phrases. I think you can afford to cut back the volume a bit in your upper chest to have better control of the sound, there are points where you almost start to shout. Overall nice cover, Ive never used smule myself. I also used to listen to Alter Bridge a lot :smile:
  • ALEXDEITEMEYERALEXDEITEMEYER Member Posts: 68
    Yeah, I actually agree with you. This was one of my hardest songs I have ever recorded. I tried cutting back the volume and that did actually work out well the last time I practiced this song. I plan on re-recording this song At some point and posting it back in this discussion. I do love alter bridge too but I’m more used to singing some of their newer songs such as “Cradle to the grave” “Cry of Achilles” and “The uninvited” @Wigs
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    @ALEXDEITEMEYER Nice job dude.
    Try not overpronounce the words. Enunciation is important of course. But try to nail it first without as many consonants in the way. Cut back the volume a bit as was mentioned. You've gotten better since you started.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    You are heading in the right direction! Good! Thanks for sharing.
    I agree with cutting down the volume a little. I don't know if you use the KTVA program, but there is loads of information there to help with this. Especially when you get to volume 3.

You seem to have a feel for pitch, which is already a big step, but it needs a lot of work. Also during sustained notes. There are also several timing issues you might want to consider. What @Diego says about consonants is also very important. That is very good advice.

Hope this helps you. Thanks again for sharing!

Ben
  • NickWNickW 2.0 PRO Posts: 153
    Cool Stuff @ALEXDEITEMEYER Nice pitch jumps ! I also followed you on smule (@nambow)
  • ALEXDEITEMEYERALEXDEITEMEYER Member Posts: 68
    @bentk I do have KTVAs singing course but I don’t have the 2.0 version since I started back in early 2015. I have made it to the section of his course that talks about glottal compression and there have been a few songs I’ve sung where I’ve used it. I haven’t posted this yet but I recorded this song again taking some of the advice Diego and Wigs gave me and it did help a lot. Before I post the recording though, I’m going to play each of the notes that I’m supposed to sing in a piano just to make sure that my pitch is perfect. I’ll post the recording in this discussion when I get the chance as well as post my cover of Gethsemane from Jesus Christ superstar in the vocal demos for the bold section.

-Alex