Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Chest voice

How high should I work my chest voice up to before connecting my head voice to it?

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    There isn't a set note value to aim for in general, it all depends on your voice and how it feels to you. You can set your own goal if you like but the aim is to stretch your chest voice safely so you don't need to roll into head voice too early to give you more options of how to present a song and keep your voice strong.
  • PhMarnePhMarne 2.0 PRO Posts: 201
    edited February 2020
    @JeffPilson @Wigs
    I am currently struggling with the same issue:
    - Ken says to do so in his tutorial on range (as do @Wigs and another good singer I happen to know)
    - the songs I'm working on are a half-tone above my range (they are songs by My Chemical Romance)
    So I try to work on my chest voice as high as I can
    When doing that, I feel the vibrations going higher up in my chest, until they almost reach the bottom of my neck: do you experience that too or is it just me luring myself into a false belief?
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    @PhMarne I still have alot to learn about my own upper chest and mix voice but I think in general terms you will feel your chest voice resonating higher in your chest cavity as you ascend. If those songs are just above your chest limit then you are likely singing right on your passagio, which is quite difficult until you develope your voice more. In time you will want to be able to sing the song a semitone higher so when you go back to the original key it feels more within your range. If your upper chest is around G4/A4, that's nothing to sneeze at. If you gain a note every 6 months, that's awesome. It takes alot of practice to stretch your voice safely.
  • PhMarnePhMarne 2.0 PRO Posts: 201
    Thank you so much @Wigs!
    I was being overwhelmed by self doubt
    Now I know some of the songs I'm aiming at may be reachable with method, persistence and time