Home› GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Guys can you help me out?

I want my voice to be improved but my voice won't 😂 Singing is really important to me because this is one of my passions. Im going to let you know what I does and don'ts when I practice so you guys could give me tips to improve my singing voice.

I do when singing
-I just sit when I sing
-Using my own voice
-Using my diagphram(but still having a hard time with my tone)

not doing when singing
-Im not singing louder but I can still hear my voice when im praticing
-Im not also looking for my head voice yet I am focusing on my pitch.
-I'd rather sing than to do exercises like LA-LA-LA (My brain telling me its the same thing in singing that I would still sound bad or its not effective and I do not want anybody know that I am praticing singing .

Answers

• Options
    HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    edited February 2020
    Pitch and rhythm are the keys to singing.

Use a game called OSU (https://osu.ppy.sh/home/download) for rhythm and use https://tonedear.com/ear-training/absolute-perfect-pitch-test for pitch training.

Without those two things everything else is irrelevant.
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited February 2020
    I do when singing
    -I just sit when I sing ***you should be standing, you lose support when sitting
    -Using my own voice ***what do you mean by that?
    -Using my diagphram(but still having a hard time with my tone) ***that's good, question is, do you do it correctly? that's hard to describe and learn. unless you are a natural (the struggle with tone suggests otherwise), if you did not train this properly, chances are, you might do it wrong. it took me over a year on the course to get a grip of it.

not doing when singing
    -Im not singing louder but I can still hear my voice when im praticing ***that might be good or bad depending on what you mean exactly
    -Im not also looking for my head voice yet I am focusing on my pitch. ***that's good for now
    -I'd rather sing than to do exercises like LA-LA-LA (My brain telling me its the same thing in singing that I would still sound bad or its not effective and I do not want anybody know that I am praticing singing ***that might be the key point why you don't improve as much as you would like to. did you ever do Ken's free exercises? you should.

the thing is, that in songs, it is much harder to apply correct technique. you build muscle memory with the scales, and that makes singing easier. but singing alone does not do it. then, even doing the scales is not good enough, you need to do them correctly, with the bright ping that Ken mentions about every five seconds in his videos for a good reason. in fact, it is very effective, and the course is based on scales, and works really well actually.

if you don't want people to hear you practice singing, why is that?

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited February 2020
    @HuduVudu I am not so sure if absolute perfect pitch is necessary, if so, there wouldn't be many singers left now. a good ear surely helps, and tonedear is really good (i train with it 5 times a week), but the interval training is surely a better place to start. it is discouraging enough in the beginning
  • Options
    HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    @Klaus_T the exercise isn't for absolute pitch it is to train your ear to match random pitch to your voice.

Absolute or relative pitch is ABSOLUTELY necessary to ANY musical endevour. You have to hear it correctly to reproduce it correctly. I found that the biggest break through that I have had is when I could actually hear how off pitch I was/am. Because knowing is half the battle.