Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Breathing with Your Diaphragm

Hi! I have always wanted to sing well. Hearing anyone else has always brought tons of jealousy and longing to sound like them. I don’t sound good. I can’t hit high notes and I can’t hold notes, and my voice will hurt after a song or two. I’ve spoken to friends and family who can sing and they tell me I need to sing with my diaphragm, not my chest or lungs. And they have tried to teach me, but I just seemly cannot do it. I have had so many people try to teach me to breathe with diaphragm. Today I found Ken and I am considering his course, though purchasing anything like that scares me. I have watched his videos about breathing with your diaphragm but I still can’t get it.

My question is: do you have any suggestions for figuring this out? It is so frustrating because I am really trying and just cannot figure it out, and everyone whose tried teaching me has given up because I can’t do it and we both end up really frustrated.

Also, how can I tell if I am breathing with my diaphragm? I’ve learned you can’t feel the diaphragm muscle because it has no nerves (or something like that,) so how do I know if I’m using it?

I’m hesitant to purchase the course because i know diaphragm singing is really important and if I can’t figure it out, then trying to sing is useless, right?

Please, any help would be so appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,602
    edited March 2020
    Hi @jaidenrhoton

Warm welcome to the KTVA forum from the UK, firstly diaphragmatic breathing is a core part of singing and it’s covers a good part of volume 1 on KTVA course. Diaphragmatic breathing support can be difficult explain at the best of times, should be practiced regularly along side Your training and it’s definitely for me anyway something that improves over time

2 videos that you probably already watched which helps to explain true diaphragmatic breathing for singing. You need practice regular these videos regularly and you will improve. If your planning to start the KTVA course the tutorial exercises go more in-depth including a whole load more techniques that learned alongside diaphragmatic support.

https://youtu.be/_fSSoZzD7og

https://youtu.be/Wv3T-xA28fE

Practice these in the meantime and that will help.

Vocality :)

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Even those purchasing the course have had months of struggle to figure it out. Ive found talking about it and trying to describe it can only get you so far. The rest is up to you to experiment with the different sensations in your body to unlock it, then use it correctly. If you do purchase the course, the benefit is you have access to the student area where there has been ALOT of discussion about it.