Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Ears

samuel88samuel88 Pro Posts: 53
edited January 2014 in Vocal Health and Wellness
Should you like feel well it's hard to explain but something different in your ears? Not like solid but like air? As you go to the top of your chest range?

Comments

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    You may feel pressure in the head as you sing higher. That may be what you are experiencing. Also the louder you sing the more sound pressure is built up.
  • JosephJoseph Pro Posts: 260
    Funny you should mention this Samuel. It have been doing the course for about a week or so and had 'gurgling' in my left ear. It happened as i laid down to sleep many hours after practicing. I got up in shock thinking a spider crawled into my ear. I turned over this time with the left ear on the pillow and it happened again. I got up, watched TV for an hour and i had another 2 or 3 gurgling events. It has never happened before, and i deduced that it was from the vocal practice. Obviously I had air pressure built up somewhere in the passages.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

You know that there are eustacian tubes between your throat and your inner ears, and these are used to equalize atmospheric pressure between your inner ear and the outside world.  The tubes pass nearby the hinge area of your jaw.  We move our jaws more into different positions when learning to sing properly, and we also are working with different pressures of air than normal ordinary everyday breathing. 

That said, I can't say that I've ever experienced anything quite like you guys are describing in my years of singing both before and after KTVA.  I've had things like that associated with illnesses, clogged ears, high-altitude travel, and airplane travel, but not with singing. 

If you have any issues that are interfering with the equalization of pressure, whether from weather changes or from altitude issues, that could be a cause for slow equalization of inner ear pressure.  If this continues you might want to see a doctor, and ask about possible clogging in your ears.  They may recommend a cleaning or other options.

Bob