Home The Singer's Lobby

Singing in lockdown

Hi,

During this quarantine my vocal practice has more or less stopped, the main reason being all of my neighbors are now at home during the day. I live in an old apartment building and the walls are very thin, (to the point where you can hear peoples conversations quite easily), so singing at any amount of volume is pretty much a no go (especially as I also do metal singing/growls). Does anyone have any suggestions for practicing whilst in lockdown? I have been doing some of the basic warmups such as the lip roll and humming but is there anything else I could do other than trying to sing really quietly?

Thanks for any suggestions and take care.

Mark

Comments

• VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @m.finlay

Hi welcome to the KTVA course and forum from the UK. Have you ever thought of making a vocal booth lined with sound proofing, just as a suggestion that way you can be confident go in shut the door and is handy for recording. It can be makeshift as long as it does the job.

Vocality :)
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Go on long drives?
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Practice you timing using OSU and practice your pitch using tonedear.com
  • timottimot 2.0 PRO Posts: 1
    I have the same situation but I sing anyway, usually around the same time at noon. I go in to the bathroom, close all the doors and practice for 1-2 hours. It's not ideal but not practicing is worse.
  • OldieOldie 2.0 PRO Posts: 15
    edited April 2020
    In Uk I just set my rig up and go for it, most of the people here know me anyway as we perform at the local club for them

Just hope they think I’m improving or it will be empty the next time we’re on

That’s unfortunately could be some long way off. 👍👍👍
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    You could try and discuss it with your neighbours, and set a reasonable time zone where you sing and practice. At least this way they know what to expect, and have something they can agree with.

I know the feeling. You rather have a private space where nobody can hear you. Many people live in apartments and have the same issue.

Hope it works out for you.

All the best,

Ben
  • naensnaens 2.0 PRO Posts: 20
    Hi. For me it's the same. I live with my parents, so practicing is impossible. Usually I cannot really relax in order to practice if I know that it can be a problem for someone. So the only thing I can do are some quiet exercises, like octaves or pitch exercises... I really hope that it will be possible for me to practice again normally.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    edited April 2020
    @naens Have you tried discussing it with your parents? I don't mean to pry.

Having a talk about these things can really help. It will, of course, differ for every individual person. We all have our own unique circumstances.

It's a shame if you are willing and able to put in the hard work for a goal you want to achieve, but are held back by certain things. Finding a solution is crucial for that goal.

• m.finlaym.finlay Pro Posts: 2
    Thanks for all of your suggestions and advice, from the layout of the apartment and taking into consideration the apartment layouts of my neighbors I'm going to practice in the bathroom like timot suggested. It's at the back of the apartment and is only connected to one neighbor (which is their bedroom) so if I go in there and close the window and door it shouldn't disrupt any neighbors especially if I go in there around noon.

Thanks for all your help, good luck with this lockdown.

Mark