Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Sore throat after first practice

Hey everyone. Today I was home alone so I decided to try so warmup exercises. However, after about 30 seconds of practice my throat got extremely sore and my voice started to sound very hoarse. I think it's because I have a lot of tension in my throat when singing. How do I fix this? I'll probably relax for a few days to let my throat heal because it feels very raw and sore right now. :(

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    You do need to relax and recover. The problem is that you were using too much air because you are incorrectly supporting.

Use these videos to help understand what needs to be done so that you don't hurt your voice again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv3T-xA28fE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fSSoZzD7og
  • RiannaRianna Member Posts: 6
    @HuduVudu , I've watched the video's. However, I still don't understand how to properly support my singing. I know how to breathe from my diaphragm, but everytime I try to sing, tension still builds up in my throat and when I try to remove that tension I can't get the sound to come out.
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    The tension in your throat is the brace against the large amount of air that you are using. I can't really relate in detail exactly how it is that you support because some of it would involve course materials. But! I can say that unequivocally that that is your problem. If you do more research and you keep working on it you should be able to understand how to properly support. It is going to take a lot of research but you can figure it out if you are diligent.

Good luck :smile:
  • TommyAtkinsTommyAtkins 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    @Rianna Hey,

How is your support going now? I am having the exact same problem. I'm only a couple of weeks in and as soon as I sing through my LAH scales my throat is hurting.

I think I understand the concept of support but still haven't embodied it.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    It takes a long time to discover this for some people but it's possible. Try and get your head around the fact that you can control the amount of air you use when you sing, it can be alot or almost none, this is how singers hold a really long note. A sore throat is more from over use of air, rather than poor support.
  • Zorander1Zorander1 Member Posts: 3
    Your throat will also dry out quicker if you're over using air, if your environment is also very dry, or, you're dehydrated. Alcohol, prescription drugs etc will make your throat feel like a sandal in the Sahara. I occasionally have to take cocodamol and sometimes tramadol. It plays havoc with my vocal chords and theres really very little I can do about it....other than Not sing too much or not take my pain killers in the 1st place 👍