Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

In-ear monitor EQ/vocal strain

Hi Ken, I have been a full-time musician for three years (cover band and solo), been doing 200 shows a year since 2008. I sing a wide range of styles, from Johnny Cash to Led Zeppelin. I run into occasional vocal problems, as I am right now, and look online for answers. Based on my own experience, your advice rang much truer to me than any others I have seen. I have a question - I sometimes wonder if the EQ response of my in-ear monitors causes me to strain my voice. I am wondering if you have any experience/thoughts on this subject, and if there are specific in-ears which you would recommend for the rock/variety singer? Thanks again for your excellent advice!

Comments

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Hi there and welcome to the forum :smile: Im not a musician and have never sang live so im not really qualified to answer. From my limited experience with monitors though, the only time I imagine they could affect you vocally is if they are totally scrubbing away certain frequencies of your voice and you try to over compensate or if you can't hear yourself very well in them.

Ill tag @Klaus_T , he is a sound engineer and might have some insight.
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    thanks @Wigs for tagging me!

yeah I would say that maybe your vocals are not loud enough in the mix you have on your in-ears, or the music is too loud. you will tend to over-sing if you can't hear yourself. try to adjust the mix and see what happens. the frequencies from 1 to 4 kHz are what makes your voice cut through, and around100-150 Hz will be the "root" frequency in a male singer. boost these carefully in case you can't get the results with just adjusting the vox/music balance
  • Options
    heidianitaheidianita 2.0 PRO Posts: 144
    I listen to spesific frequencies in my voice, if I loose them in my ear I oversing, so I would say yes, a good inear AND the right microphone is important to sing correctly. Unfortunately I still haven't discovered exactly which frequencies that is most important, but anyway I think this is personal. Try out different mics and spend some money in a good inear. I have just bought me Sennheiser. Wonderful, sharp sound, which also is possible with an EQ.