Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Low voice after practice!

EmanueleEmanuele 2.0 PRO Posts: 100
edited April 2020 in Vocal Health and Wellness
Hi all,

I have done KTVA starter exercises for about a month. I am now doing them correctly (as I was told here in the Forum) even if a bit airy still.

Here is an example of my chest voice:

https://soundcloud.com/user-779413084-657968546/lah-chest-voice-2

The problem is that in order to hit Ken's higher pitches I struggle a little bit.

The result is that I have less volume in my normal speaking voice after the exercise and also the day after.

I have never pain in my throat however.

Can I still do Ken exercises? Or is it better that I stop for a while?

Is this fact dangerous for my vocal health or normal result of the exercise?

Thank you a lot for your answer

Bye!

Comments

• VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    edited April 2020
    @Emanuele

Had listen to your chest exercises first triad was good, then an issue develops your scooping up to find the correct starting note maybe a support issue as you go up and comeback down is more accurate. Just make sure you have your support ready for the start of the triad and we want to hit the correct starting note with regularity. If you have pitch app like singscope that will show in more detail.

Your chest voice is pretty strong, just remember not to carry too much weight in the sound as you ascend to the top of the scale and the aim is to grow the voice safely we have to stretch the chest voice gradually. Dont't be afraid to skip the notes at the top if your struggling you can work your way up to these notes later.

Main question are you going hoarse at all after the exercise because that may be down to doing them too loud and if so back off the volume a bit but aim to remain in chest. Not sure on you speaking register is quiet day after will tag @HuduVudu for a second opinion.

Hope this helps

Vocality :)

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    You have no resonance in your voice. You need to work on that so that you can get a louder voice with less volume.
  • EmanueleEmanuele 2.0 PRO Posts: 100
    Hi, thanks a lot for your answers.

@Vocality thanks for letting me know about the pitch issue at the beginning of each triads, I will work on that.

I never get hoarse voice (if you mean pain), fortunately.

I will keep doing the exercise but maybe more "gently" as also Ken suggests in a video.

@HuduVudu thanks for your answer. How do I develop resonance in my voice? I stick to KTVA program and it will develop itself, right?

Thanks a lot, really!
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    No it will not develop on it's own. You must make a concerted effort to enable it. The idea is encapsulated with Ken saying it's the LAH AH. The second AH is the ping or resonance that you need to achieve.
  • EmanueleEmanuele 2.0 PRO Posts: 100
    Understood! I will try, thank for the explanation.