Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Replacing consonants

Hey Ken!
A question for you. I've learned from vocal coaches that I should/could replace certain consonants with others to be able to sing more freely/better in certain words.
Like swop out "f" with "v" and "s" with "c" ect.

This works on some words in English, but in Norwegian the "f" "v" exchange gets way to easy to hear. What can I do too train those certain words when I can't take out the f? It always gets a little shaky even though I can easily sing other words on the same note.

Comments

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    F and V is already a kind of soft consonant. You would actually want to swap consonants like B with V. Hard consonants are the ones that totally shut down your air flow or switch between your mouth and nasal port. It takes a lot of experimentation, sometimes you can get away with hardly singing the consonant at all, other times its actually appropriate to hit it harder depending on the type of song or phrase. If you find it difficult, try and split the difference between the 2 letters you are swapping. Sing the word "baby", then pronounce it "vavy", now find somewhere in-between so when you sing it it sounds like baby but you are using a bit of v in there.
  • Options
    PhMarnePhMarne 2.0 PRO Posts: 201
    Working on a high-pitched song of mine: consonant replacement are proving extremely useful - @Wigs thanks a lot!