Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

If i strained my voice from yelling at a ball game or the like , what is recommended to soothe ...

If i strained my voice from yelling at a ball game or the like , what is recommended to soothe an injured voice?

Thanks, in advance.

Answers

• Options
    VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,602
    edited April 2020
    @banjobilly

Well if you went hoarse after e.g. yelling at a ball game or the like, your effectively taking a flame flower of air over your vocal folds which can cause inflamation of the cords. Definately rest the voice for a while to allow recovery and gently warm up the voice back into action.

We aim to manage air in singing in our training and it gets more important as we progress through the volumes.

Vocality
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I think depending on the severity, you can do your scales the next day to get elasticity back into your cords. Just do them very gentle and concentrate on getting good cord closure.
  • Options
    banjobillybanjobilly 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
    what about gargling with salt water or some other soothing elixir?
  • Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Gargling with salt water is fine i think. Don't know what you mean with 'soothing elixir' though.

The point is: there is no immediate remedy for this. Eat healthy, drink plenty of water, sleep enough. Ken has a video on all kinds of supplemental things you can do, but there is no instant remedy for this specific thing. Going hoarse from a night of shouting needs time to recover.

Get some rest, and check out Ken's advice.

All the best,

Ben