Home Welcome

After 50 Years I'm Still Trying to Find "My" Voice

JanEarlJanEarl 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 54
I'm 67 and have been playing in rock bands since age 12. Never had any serious vocal training, so I've picked up tidbits here and there. In bands I started as a backup singer/lead guitarist and wound up doing the lead singing for the last band for ten years. I was "adequate", but tried to be all things to all people...covering Springsteen to Tom Petty to Joe Cocker to Justin Hayward.

Now at age 67, I'm still trying to find the real me as a singer. Every time I hear a playback of my voice, I want to smash my head against the wall (20 or 30 times). But when singing the exercises along with Ken's voice, I've found that I am more focused on my pitch, breathing, and tone than I am at judging my self. It's like Ken says about Michelangelo: there's something inside that block of granite!.

I got off to a good, consistent start with my practice sessions, but a run in with COVID19 back in March knocked me off track for a month. Back at it now and am excited to see where it takes me.

Comments

• VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @naj

Welcome to the KTVA forum this is a great course for you to really find your voice, this is a testimonial of a student on youtube he started just before 70 birthday a big inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAJMXVeUIkc

Vocality
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Welcome! KTVA helps you slowly understand the foundations of great singing, whilst training the correct muscles. If you have bought the program, don't forget to upgrade your forum status!

All the best,

Ben
  • LinaLina 2.0 PRO Posts: 77
    @naj I, like you, and still discovering my authentic voice through doing the course. I have to say that i picked up some habits throughout the years that I an trying to get rid of. they stemmed from trying to imitate my favorite singers so for example, Ronnie SpeKtor's wide vibrato,Karen Carpener's low notes etc. Doing this course is a wonderful journey!
  • JanEarlJanEarl 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 54
    Thanks Lina,bentk, and Vocality for sharing with me, especially that video of Ken's SKYPE with Tony. THERE's HOPE FOR ME!!!

BTW: Do any of you know the name of the Section 1 video training in which Ken explains in detail the Vowel Modifications? He refers to that ("We're going to get into that a little later") on a couple of other videos, but I don't have one in my bundle specifically including the words "vowel modifications".
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Volume 2 goes into more detail about each of the main vowels. Ken refers to the vowel modifications as :Release Valves. There are several Release Valve videos. He is just introducing you to vowel modifications in Volume 1.
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    It's also taken me quite awhile to find "my own voice" too. For the longest time I was trying to copy the artists timbre. Then I found a few songs where I was able to use my voice. I could sing those songs in my voice but other songs I still tried to imitate. It's not until very recently that I am able to sing most songs in my own voice now It feels like. The key is to relax, no tension. In order to imitate artists you have to squeeze, or pinch or push or force and that's never good.
    What I have noticed while working with Volume I, recording each exercise and immediately playing it back to find weak points, is that I started to hear the "Real Me". The exercises clear away all of the imitations and impersonations for me because I'm focusing on getting that bright, snappy tone that Ken stresses. This course is amazing!
  • AlariaAlaria Member Posts: 2
    Good idea to record each exercise and play it back! I will do that.
    Hi Alaria,

If you use a Mac or iPod, can drag the MP3 exercises into GarageBand, creating a new track for each exercise.
    I use the first track for my voice, then each exercise sequentially goes into one track at a time below it.
    Using Garage Band, I create one "Song Project" and name it after the day's practice like "Warm Up One 7-3-20".
    Each day I practice, I save the "Song" as that day's date. That way, I can save up a history of how I am improving just by listening and comparing my most recent practice with one from earlier in the month.