Home Vocal Health and Wellness

DIET

I've just watched the recent video Ken posted and he mentions Chicken not being good for us singers. I usually have chicken salad before gigs. Surely if it's cooked by oven, grill or boiled it is healthy? I understand if it was fried it would be a no no. Also he said Pasta was no good, but if it's wholegrain is it okay in moderation?

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Please review the terms and conditions of the forum and dont post the same message more than once in different areas.

Personally, I dont take my vocal health so far as restricting my diet. I dont sing professionally, its only a hobby. I do make sure my general diet is as balanced as possible and that I exercise regularly for general health. I also make sure I stay hydrated before, during and after singing and dont eat anything if I can help it at least an hour before.
  • kylevox1987kylevox1987 2.0 PRO Posts: 39
    That's fine, I wasn't sure which area this question fit best. Thanks for your feedback. :smile:
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Stick to a healthy diet and avoid drinks/foods that could dehydrate you. I could choose to drink less coffee on a day of singing for instance. Personally i don't notice a lot of difference with what i eat. I tend to eat balanced and avoid a lot of junk. Staying hydrated throughout the day is very important.

I personally don't like to sing on a 'full' stomach. So i would prefer to leave some time between eating and singing. If i notice that there is some gunk/phlegm on my chords or in my nasal cavities, i try to make sure to warm up enough. It mostly resolves itself after proper warm ups.
  • cowoltercowolter Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2021
    I 've read on completevocal institute Spicy foods, fried foods, citrus, tomatoes, etc. should perhaps be avoided if you have a propensity for acid reflux. Acid can burn your throat and make you hoarse. Carbonated beverages might be problematic as well because you can burp acid into your throat and that is also bad...