Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

MUSE - BLACKOUT

Hi All,

This is one of my favourite songs from muse, so sweet, slow and majestic.
So I did a cover of it, and now I had a piano, I can play all the parts!

I'm playing piano, guitar acoustic tremolo, electric tremolo and of course singing :smile:

https://soundcloud.com/d1g2w3/muse-blackout

It's a lot of support as it's rounding notes, very difficult to make sure you're not off pitch.

Appreciate you listening

@doc_ramadani @Diego @Vocality @Wigs @cwcw @DogMeat @Raphael_Hussl @BarbieLynn @d1g2w3 @Rick_amateur @omkarpancham @maximgottmer @bonvie56 @Furious_Phil @Chris82 @shining @Maya @LumiMoon @iZak @jimmieYYM @heidianita @NickW @HuduVudu @sjonrokz4u @Duoleeva @jaclynser @Michael4000 @Mysti @coffeecrank

Comments

• d1g2w3d1g2w3 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 465
    Feeling good version is very good. My go to karaoke song!

Look forward to hear it
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    I'm not familiar with this song but I think you did a very very good job. Nice musical arrangement, and your pitch was spot-on. My only suggestion is to add some effects like Reverb or delay to your vocal. A slow song like this would really lend itself to that.
    Thanks @Michael4000. Completely agree with you but was after a clean rake. I'm after feedback on the technique and dont want to distort a problem with effects.

I would normally. Thanks for the feedback michael.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I'd like to hear this again in 6 months after solid practice. I totally forgot you played it all as well as sang, I thought I was listening to a backing track! I think I hear a different vocal placement from you I haven't heard before, bit more rounded and warm. That's why I'm excited to see how you sound later on. 👍🏼
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    @d1g2w3 did you get a chance to check out the Bon Jovi cover I posted yesterday?
  • Raphael_HusslRaphael_Hussl 2.0 PRO Posts: 159
    @d1g2w3 Great performance! The vocals are really spot on. Muse songs are not easy to sing at all but it seems you've got the hang of it. The instruments are also solid. The track would only need some good mixing to have everything smoothed out so the vocals can really shine.
    @Raphael_Hussl thanks buddy, agree on the mixing, I managed to get my audio setup back up and running (I'll post pictures on what I've done when my electric drum kit arrives today). Matt Bellamy is my absolute idol. Listening to him for 15 years means I know the exact placement for his songs.

@Wigs completely agree which is why I'm starting to post some of these. The only backing in the drums which I hope to learn!

Danny
  • jaclynserjaclynser Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 262
    Hi @d1g2w3

Nice work! Great job with the playing and background vocals as well. I agree with @Wigs that it will be cool to hear you sing this again in a few months to see progress. My only main note for you would be to watch how much air you are allowing to escape as you are singing. I understand this is a ballad and stylistically that breathiness may be what you are going for, but just be careful with how much you use that throughout the song.

Keep singing!
    Jackie
    edited May 2020
    @jaclynser could you point to a section where I'm going breathy?

It wasnt an intention and I thought I kept that in control but if I didnt, its definitely something i want to work on as i do currently have support fatigue while I'm strengthening the TA.

Thanks for the feedback!

Just also, maybe I need to explicitly say I didnt do backing vocals! Apologies is I misled :neutral:
    @d1g2w3 for sure! So the first minute of the song is where you can hear it on the more breathy side. On the line "fool yourSEEELF", you will hear a lot of that air escaping. It does continue to happen throughout the entire song, where to me it sounds like air is continuing to escape more than you may want it to. So I do recommend keeping with practicing Glottal Compression and the feeling of "speaking under water".

Oh sorry, ok I thought you did backing vocals as well. But again, you did a really great job on this so keep it up! :smiley:
    Hi @jaclynser

I'll take another listen, thank you. I'm on volume 1 so I haven't got to glottle compression yet so I probably dont understand or able to analysis the problem.

This is super helpful, thanks!
    Ah, okay. Yes he dives more into that later. For now, listen for when Ken talks about managing your air, for example during the lip trills - don't blow out the candle - so you are using minimum air passing across the chords to not fatigue or dry them out.

He will then get into talking about the idea of holding your breath while speaking, or talking underwater. Again as a way to practice managing your air. :smiley:
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    edited May 2020
    I’ve never heard this song. Sounded on pitch and tempo with the track though. Having not heard the original I’m not sure about the diction. I couldn’t really understand most of the lyrics you were singing, maybe the original is like too not sure.
  • shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    I also did not know this song (and band) but I really like it. Nice choice.
    If someone would have told me that this is the original, I would believe it without a doubt.
    You are on V1? Thought you were on V3 or 4 :open_mouth:
    @shining - Nope, volume one, but I come from a singing background. It's irrelevant though as coming from a singing background makes it harder to break bad or improper habits.

@jaclynser - Yes, I'm actually one of the few that likes the lip drills. I'm good at them, although, they are the first thing you do, this song is after about 1/2 hours of practice so it's probably that I'm already at the point of fatigue.

It is a work in progress, I was actually discussing this in assignment 45 as I had to give one song up because of that exact issue.

@Chris82 - Live version https://youtube.com/watch?v=BxbJmMMq0A4

I'm too dark in the first verse but I can't do it without burning my vocal chords.
  • shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    d1g2w3 said:

@shining - Nope, volume one, but I come from a singing background. It's irrelevant though as coming from a singing background makes it harder to break bad or improper habits.

Oh I see. Well, yes, but you sound like a "pro" :) maybe thats why I thought you were further ahead in the course.
    Your too kind but I'm a long long way before that.

There are a lot more people on here who are more talented and have dedicated far more hours than I have.
  • maximgottmermaximgottmer 2.0 PRO Posts: 313
  • LumiMoonLumiMoon 2.0 PRO Posts: 165
    I don't know this song but it sounded really good. It sounds like you have really good vocal control with all the slow verses and held out notes. Awesome that you played all the instruments too!
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Great work on this. Really like your tone in this, and would be great to hear this more produced and mixed. You have certainly gotten better sir.