Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method
Options

A doubt

Hi,
Since I started yhis course, I've definitely improved better than I hoped, but my local previous teacher says to me all the time that this course is very advanced. He tells me to practice singing low notes and then do these(KTVA) exercises. He says that only by singing low notes can I ever sing high notes, and that low notes are the foundation.
I'm not doubting Ken in any way, just wanted to ask what to do? And am I missing something here?

Comments

• Options
    shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    edited May 2020
    Well.. I also improved singing my lower notes with the course. The key for each is a good technique and support. And you learn that with these exercises. Its not everybodys goal to sing the "hightest note". And I also do think thats why the course uses the phrase "How to sing better than anyone else" and not just "How to sing higher than anyone else" :smiley:
  • Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Just follow the program. Might be a lame answer to your question, but it is as simple as that. You work your whole range with KTVA. You start the scales low, go high, and back down again. Stretching chest voice, bridging etc. are all components of your voice and all deserve equal attention. Range does not have to be the goal for everybody, but you will increase range with KTVA.
  • Options
    djkdjk 2.0 PRO Posts: 18
    Perhaps, when doing chest stretching you could start as low as you can, that way you are less likely to go into head voice (although I find it a bit difficult to avoid going into head voice and stay in pitch) and then when you do the second round for the Head Voice you start higher and then ascend into your head voice. Just an idea, everyone's voice is different. all the best
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Sounds like he was just trying to get you to keep paying him. Some of the scales are a bit fast at first but alot of the ones in volume 1 are very basic and slow enough that they are definately not advanced. This material will also last you YEARS. By telling you to sing low, he's probably just hiding the fact that he means sing with an open throat which is what Ken says from day one.

Ken also says check your previous stuff at the door. Post a lah scale in the student area and we can really help you out. 🙂
  • Options
    djkdjk 2.0 PRO Posts: 18
    Hello, Wigs,

This is an interesting comment you've made: "By telling you to sing low, he's probably just hiding the fact that he means sing with an open throat which is what Ken says from day one."

Could you please elaborate on this as I'd like to know more about connection between open throat and lower notes so I can perhaps incorporate this into my exercises.
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    This is the public area so I go into it too much. Check out the categories tongue position and open throat in the student area, plenty in there discussing it.
  • Options
    _Asm1t__Asm1t_ 2.0 PRO Posts: 19
    Wigs said:

Sounds like he was just trying to get you to keep paying him. Some of the scales are a bit fast at first but alot of the ones in volume 1 are very basic and slow enough that they are definately not advanced. This material will also last you YEARS. By telling you to sing low, he's probably just hiding the fact that he means sing with an open throat which is what Ken says from day one.

Ken also says check your previous stuff at the door. Post a lah scale in the student area and we can really help you out. 🙂

I have posted, and it's alright I guess.
    I'll just check everything else at the door and do this.😁