Home Vocal Health and Wellness

is mewing good or bad for signing?

is mewing good or bad for signing?

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    It's not a technique taught at KTVA so i can't vouch for its effectiveness. We do our best to maintain open throat technique.
  • Hamza29BoukarouaHamza29Boukaroua Member Posts: 13
    my dentist said you should rest your tongue a the roof of my mouth
    Ken says to rest it at the bottom of your jaw. 🙂
    that's medically wrong my doctor said you should rest it on the top floor of the mouth ad to close my mouth...i'm using an open throat technique while singing...my point is if i rest my tongue on the top floor when i'm not singing ,is it going to affect my voice
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    I think I’m missing something. Were we talking about making the mew sound when practicing and singing? How is that tied in to how you hold your mouth throughout daily life. And if I do understand the question, no, where you rest your tongue when not singing won’t effect your voice lol
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    I don't think you should take singing advice from your dentist. Those tips are in different context, and should not be mixed.
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    edited May 2020
    I work in the dental industry. I know lots of dentists and I wouldn't take their advice on anything except dentistry and even that subject is iffy with them. P.S. 50% of the dentists I know don't wash their hands after the bathroom, the more you know...

As far as mewing goes, well it's a vocal exercise for sure. It's not taught by Ken in his course. I've had vocal instructors assign me mewing and whimpering sounds before. These were more to help me address a specific issue I was having with my tone and not something that I'm supposed to work into a daily routine for the next 12 years either.
    Oh k great. I just got back from the dentist lol. Maybe it’s better I got this info after lol
  • OliviaWenyaOliviaWenya 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 61
    Okay, I think there might be some confusion going on here xD
    Mewing recommended by the dentist is probably not doing it like a cat, but the facial reshapening thing that also widens the jaw and gives some more dimension to the face by "pushing" a certain section forward. If I recall correctly it's very controversial amongst orthodontist and the original inventor of it + the son was kicked out of the association or something in the US. If I recall correctly it also strengthens the muscles and such.

To the OP, it's not simply resting the tongue on the roof of the mouth, but also ACTIVELY pushing. You can ask for a "Mewing plate" if that is too hard.

I myself did it for a period of time with the "plate", but wasn't into singing back then so I can't say how my voice has been affected. IDK how old OP is, but if I recall correctly it has to be done by a child from a fairly young age BEFORE the bones in the facial region starts to fuse.

• OliviaWenyaOliviaWenya 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 61
    edited May 2020
    For me personally it's created more "room" in my mouth but also gave me some issues with sibilance I had to fix with a Speech-Language Pathologist, the plate itself also messed up my normal speech pattern and I had to re-learn speaking with the plate and again after finishing treatment without the plate. If you don't do it with a plate, the effect shouldn't be so dramatic and you most likely don't have to re-learn :)
    Thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense now
    You need to be a bit more specific next time about what you are talking about. My first thought was you meant using the mewing sound as a way to train your voice in a scale, not that it was some sort of dental procedure. I have no idea if what you are talking about is good or bad for the voice.
    thank you guys a lot and very sorry for the misunderstanding