Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Every Breath You Take?

Hey
I have been watching some of the student demonstrations of the LAH triad and notice many of them are taking a breath in through the nose.
I have a few nose and throat issues I am working through at the moment and take most of my breaths through the mouth. I do try to take some breaths through the nose when warming up during the lip drill (as Ken teaches for gently warming up) but it is restricted at the moment.
Just wondering whether to stop the course at this time until I can get to see an ENT doctor. Singing is a passion but I don't want to cause more damage?
I realise this is not a medical forum but I would appreciate hearing about anybody elses experiences with these sorts of issues.

many thanks
Mark

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hi Mark, I think you will be fine breathing in through the mouth for now. i don't think this is a reason that keeps you from training. in my opinion anyway
  • Options
    Mark_CuthbertMark_Cuthbert 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 25
    hey @Klaus_T,

Thanks for the reply. I am not experiencing any pain at all. The thing I am struggling with is the drying out of the throat/cords? which possibly is a combination of mostly breathing through my mouth and nasal medication (Flixonase) which I have to have twice a day. I am combining the singing training with diet and lifestyle changes (12kg weight loss since starting in January) to help with my Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. It is my hope with Ken's training there will be strengthening of my soft pallet and maybe even one day not require the CPAP machine. I think I might benefit from Ken's new upcoming course on repairing the voice. Believing for good things!

The timing of finding KTVA has been a piece in the bigger picture and I feel very honoured to be a student here.

Hope you and your family are well at this time Klaus!

many thanks
    Mark

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hi Mark, yes, breathing through the mouth is going to dry out the throat more, if you breathe in through your nose, the air gets filtered and will also have some added moisture.

your soft palate will definitely become stronger with the help of Ken's training.

would be great if you could fix the issues you have! great work on the 12kg weight loss

you might want to look at stuff like Wim Hof breathing (you can google it), not sure if it helps with your specific issues, but it is good for your immune system and general well-being. also, i find working with breath exercises almost always helps with singing, one way or the other.

I do this routine (or sometimes the 1 hour version of it) almost every day, and it includes this type of breathing as well, and I always feel great afterwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzha1_EW5Ck

wishing you all the best!