Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Loosing Lower Range

Hey Everyone! I don’t really struggle with voice cracks in my higher chest register at all (about G3), however when I go back to singing lower after having sung/ trained in my higher register or head voice for a couple minutes my voice often cracks. Usually I can hit a C2 but after having sung higher my voice will crack as high as a G#2. I used to think it was because I was straining but I’ve managed to overcome that by bettering my technique so I don’t feel that pull in my throat from my tongue being raised. It might be because I haven't been able to gain full control of my Larynx especially with the last 2 or so Notes in my Chest Register so it might be because it is raised? I never used to have this problem till around December last year when I was sick for about two weeks and my speaking voice was several notes lower (presumably from all of the mucus on my chords). I still struggle with voice cracks the point where I can't get any chord closure at all in my lower range and have to wait till the next day to be able to access my lower range again, even after just simply warming my voice up. Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    are you singing high and/or in head voice a lot? Ken teaches to build a strong foundation by training chest first, in order to avoid atrophying the chest voice (which happens when you sing a lot in head voice, without balancing it with chest exercises)). you need to be careful to have balance, ideally, follow Ken's course, it will take the guesswork out of the equation
  • Options
    jeremycalebjeremycaleb Member Posts: 2
    Well, I actually have a very solid chest voice. I do struggle with tongue root tension and a raised larynx when I'm singing in the higher part of my chest register. I hardly ever sing in head voice. Only for about a week I've started intentionally working on it so I can eventually develop mixed voice.
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    2 things could possibly be happening and I have experienced both and still do occasionally.

1st is that when we spend alot of time in our upper registers, our voice can become what is called high set. That means your voice is so used to singing high that it takes some time for it to comfortably sing lower again. This usually happens if you spend say an hour stretching your voice up or singing heaps of high songs back to back. If you rest for an hour or so, your voice will pretty much go back to normal.

The 2nd thing is that sometimes I hang on to the feeling of the air pressure and support I use to sing in my upper mid chest. Doing this down low means I lose tone, phonation and likely way too much air since Ive open my vocal tract and dropped my larynx to produce the note but hung onto the sensation needed when I was up high. There is alot more finesse and control needed to go low and resonant, rather than alot of strength and control.