Home Psychology of Singing

Able to belt when hearing lyrics, but can't when they're gone, even on the same song

Hello all! First time posting here, glad I could join you all. I have an interesting question that I'm sure at least one of you has had problems with. And that is when I sing a song while listening through my headphones, even when I take one headphone off so I can hear myself, I'm able to give it full power. However, if I decide to record myself singing the same song on something like Smule, as soon as the lyrics are gone/I no longer hear the lyrics, I notice I can't sing with the same power, or just tense up and am unable to hit notes that I could normally hit with ease. And I'm wondering if there is some sort of weird psychology behind it? Also I notice that my volume changes depending on the volume of the music, so if the song is louder, I'll be louder and vice versa.

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    i think this is because you will think you are singing something that actually is coming from the record, so you kind of trick yourself into thinking you are better than you are. this is quite normal, I think Ken even had a YT video about it, but i couldn't find it now
  • JamesBond00797JamesBond00797 Member Posts: 3
    Found it. It's the one of singing alone. Not quite sure how to have that recording setup quite like Ken did, or at least something that can work in a similar way. I only have my phone and the headphones, which have a mic.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    what are you trying to do with the setup?
  • JamesBond00797JamesBond00797 Member Posts: 3
    Wean myself off of the habit of needing the song alongside me when I sing, mainly so that I can improve. I might have figured something using the smule livejam feature. (Just set one up for yourself, play some external tunes, and sing away, with real time feedback. This system might have some tinkering to do, but it's a decent start to my knowledge.)
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Karaoke is the way to go for this kind of thing. You tube has thousands you can practice to.
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Agreed with @wigs. There’s something about having the crutch of the vocals while you sing and then going to just a music bed that can be very exposing. Sing with the karaoke tracks and record, and then evaluate