Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Bob Marley- Don't Worry Mon!

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hey Michael, good song choice, again!

the piano is a bit choppy, maybe work with the sustain pedal a bit. but to be fair, reggae with only a piano is a big call.

it suits your voice well, i think you could even be a bit brighter, and relax the timing of the vocals a bit.

looking forward to hearing the full set someday soon!
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    I liked it! Your cover was really enjoyable to listen to and really brought me into the mood. Good pitch, tempo and diction. The only thing I would say is your tone. You go too nasal in some part of the song IMO. Nasal vs Mouth sound is another one of those things we need to balance in our singing. It's mainly controlled by your soft palate. My advice is to focus on how much nasal you are using at various points in the song. Try it with less or more in different parts and try to find what fits the music the best. Good job!
  • shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    Hm.. this is my favorite Bob Marley song..
    Your singing technique is good... but... I cant really listen to it because I don´t like the piano... it sounds like background music of a very old nintendo game. I totally miss the "light and happy" feeling this song usually supports.. Sorry :/
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    @Klaus_T @Chris82 thanks for your feedback. What's interesting is that you seem to have opposite feedback. @Klaus_T says it could be a bit brighter, @Chris82 says it's a little too nasal at points and could be moved to the mouth more, which I interpret as "darkening" the sound a bit. At least this is my understanding of it.
    @shining thanks for your feedback. I could experiment with different piano sounds or arrangement.
    edited May 2020
    @shining here's a previously recorded version I made, but I decided to change it because I didn't like the piano sound and arrangement...do you think it's better this way? @Chris82 @Klaus_T what do you guys think?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvqpmhkVjP-Miyx78CGK4vUMIK29
    Well no.. if you are happy with it everything is ok :)
    Everyone is different and has a different taste.

@shining here's a previously recorded version I made, but I decided to change it because I didn't like the piano sound and arrangement...do you think it's better this way?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvqpmhkVjP-Miyx78CGK4vUMIK29

Yes its better... not so "chopped off"... but I am not sure if piano is a good medium for a reggae song
    edited May 2020
    edited May 2020
    i think this is better. still, the "reggae" flair is not really coming through. which is not so surprising to me, because there is no drums, and no bass, and i don't know how you would replace those two with a single piano, while you are still trying to play the off-beat chords in the right hand. also, you gotta be really repetitive (i.e. precise) with the rhythm, which is not easy.

your singing sounded more relaxed on this one, which fits better for me

with the bright i think i meant somehow "smaller" vowels, i can't really say it any differently...
    @coffeecrank One thing I've realized about doing piano/vocal covers is that it REALLY exposes your voice, any errors in pitch or anything else are much more obvious (versus singing to a track with lots of other instruments). Ken has even pointed this out in several of his videos of famous singers, such as Demi Lovato at the Grammys and Bradley Cooper/Lady Gaga at the Oscars. They all sang with just a piano and Ken said you need to be absolutely spot-on to pull that off.
    @coffeecrank i didn't mean to say i dislike piano covers. i just meant this one is tricky to cover on a piano. i really like reggae, so maybe i am hypercritical. i have a band and we have a few reggae covers, but we don't have a bass, just cajon, 2 guitars, keyboard and vocals. but the keyboarder sings the reggae songs and can't play the bassline on the keyboard at the same time. even in this constellation, i i think something is missing, even though we are much closer to the original arrangement than Michael is with his piano. i didn't say it is not possible, but it needs some thought. reggae police over and out!
    Same here :) I loooove piano. But I am no "raggae fan".. I only know a few songs but this is accidentally my favorite one :smile:

Like I said: Everyone is different and has a different taste.
    So please Michael, do whatever you think is best and what YOU like...
    If I listenend to others people, I wouldnt be here :)

• sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Ditto on what @shining says. Singing is so prone to ones taste and opinion. Every room of 100 people there will be a few that thing your the greatest a bunch that are good with you and don’t really have an opinion and some that think you suck. That seems to be the case almost no matter who you are. Just go a long withwhat you like. Kinda like that bonjovi song. Some liked it some didn’t. Be your own strongest critique. Meet your standards. By the way I haven’t had a chance to listen to this one but I’m not a big raggae guy some I may not be the best one to say. But you know how I always respond lol. “What do you think?”
    edited May 2020
    @shining @sjonrokz4u @coffeecrank @Klaus_T I always think this is an interesting topic, what we think of our own singing vs. what others think of our singing. For me personally, I do care what others think, at least to a degree, because my goal is to perform in public for others, not to sing for myself in my house. But I do get what you're saying, that people have all different tastes and I thought that was a great point about the "room full of 100 people." If we didn't care at all about what others think of our singing though, why are we even on this forum?
    Another thing I find is that by the time I finally post a song on here, I've practiced it over and over again so many times that it starts to become kind of difficult to be objective about evaluating it because I am so "in" it.
    Well as far as I can see the most comments were about your piano and not your singing :)
    So you throw 2 balls on the field... thats not fair :D
    @shining haha true...but i think the same thing applies to all aspects of our music performance.
  • jmstanlejmstanle 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 141
    I liked the intimate feel to it your voice does well in this type of setting. I am not a big Reggae fan but I like the layers of your tone.