Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Hey Look Ma, I Made It - Panic! At The Disco Cover

Hey All,

So I finish up my weeks holiday with a cover of Panic! At The Disco's Hey Look Ma I Made It.
I've always struggled to sing over an over again before Ken to sing A4 consistently without straining then going horse.

So this time, I recorded it throughout, and then added the backing over the top. I added the needed reverb and Equalized it (Spent time on this one. I even got the LR correct.

I'm moving around in the video a lot as I'm having so much fun and so relaxed!
Currently transitioning into Volume 2!

https://youtu.be/-DOXWP30LPs

Anyone interested on hearing the original:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=BzbxacRr5Gk

Enjoy!

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Good work! You do sound relaxed and keeping an open throat. A touch too much into the mask for my taste but Im hearing a different you from before. I like this direction you are on :smile:

Also be careful of the guy that commented on your video, sounds like he is a bot or scammer or something, he has been all over YT commenting and wanting to be friends. Ive reported him.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Not bad. I would sing the higher notes more from the gut, pushing down more. But nice job getting up there.

Tough song to sing.
  • d1g2w3d1g2w3 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 465
    edited June 2020
    Thanks guys (and gals!),

You are very right, I'm still building the support @highmtn, sometimes I have absolute control and sometimes I have enough to hold stable, I'm getting there. When I have absolute control I can get a lot higher when i have full control (i can sing high Hope's by Panic at the Disco which is super high) thanks for listening!

@Wigs Thanks for the feedback Wigs, been really working on all you've said. Because I listen to these pop/rock artists, they are brush over words (Fall out boy prime example) so open throat, brushing over the consonants were all part of my game and seemed easier to apply to songs now. I'd like to know if you think it's too mask for your taste or too much mask compared to the song, as I was attempting to match Brendan Urie. Thanks about the comments, I have the same thing on soundcloud about bots, don't worry :smile:

Thanks @coffeecrank, I actually have a collab coming in the next couple weeks. I've done my parts and it's all over the shop from chest and falsetto, cant wait till its done.
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Nice job dude!! Great pitch. I’m not familiar with the original but that sounds great!!
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    edited June 2020
    Not bad. For me it sounded a bit nasally, light, and too much head voice in the mix. I have the opposite problem...I tend to pull up too much weight from chest. I think the trick is finding the right balance which just takes time, practice, and hard work. Keep at it, nice progress.
    Hey @Michael4000, there's no mix and no head voice in this at all. You are right, in the verse there is still a bit more nasal that I would like but it's a lot better than some of my other songs. Still learning the ground.

A lot of my previous songs have been way to dark and covered so this is me going in the opposite direction in the attempt to eventually find that middle ground.
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    I guess I have bad taste cuz I like how masky it sounds
  • Raphael_HusslRaphael_Hussl 2.0 PRO Posts: 159
    @d1g2w3 Hi Danny,
    great work! You did a good job in terms of range. I agree that the sound has still a lot of mask and it would be great to see how your voice can still grow over time to be able to get some more depth into the sound but for today it is very good! How long have you been in Volume 1 now and what was your starting point before you started with Volume 1?

(btw I just had a look at the video of the original song, the story of the song is a complete nightmare)
    Hey,

So as a kid I was brought up on music played piano, sang in the choir, played violin etc so I have a big musical background.

I've also been in bands but as I went into my teens a d beyond, I always found there was something not right, straining for notes, lack of resonance etc.

I've never done it professionally nor have I been in bands for long.

I would say that coming to volume one, I understood pitch but I had to shed a lot of "previous bad habits"

I've been on the course a total of 16 weeks although after week 11 I stopped for 5 months due to a lot of life changes.

This is my 4th week back

Danny
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    You did a really good job on a really tough song! Your timbre went well with the song for sure!
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    edited June 2020
    @d1g2w3 Nice work on a demanding song you done very well there and enjoyed it very much solid rendition your progressing well.
    edited June 2020
    Thanks @Chris82 and @Vocality, I think the best thing I've gained is not the "extra notes" but it's the ease in which I can sing those higher notes. This would have taken it out of me, but refreshingly, it was easy and I could sing it over and over without having to give in.

This is my next milestone:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=IPXIgEAGe4U

I can get to the last part of the chorus second time perfectly, but then my support goes. Previously I couldn't sing a song because I went hoarse, now it's because I just don't have the TA strength. It's good knowing I can get these notes safely, take a 5 minute break and carry on. This also has some really good bridging parts also

Now I know why some vocalists talk to much between song on a set :wink:
  • LumiMoonLumiMoon 2.0 PRO Posts: 165
    Great job! That's a hard song but you did it justice. I think it is a good fit for your voice.
  • NickWNickW 2.0 PRO Posts: 153
    Liked the song, nice listening!! Well done on all the notes! May try to, over time, add some roundness/fullness, but that comes with workout practice anyways. Cheers, enjoyed it!
  • shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    What a cool choice :)
    And? What did your Ma say?! ;)

What I think is amazing is that you sound a bit shy in the lower parts but confident and really good in the high parts.
    I like!!!
    I would sound like s**t and my "Ma" would still love it! :lol:
  • Adam164Adam164 2.0 PRO Posts: 92
    Well done! The sound will get fuller over time as you work through Volume 2 and your support strengthens further. I'm working through Volume 2 and some parts of V.3. It is very difficult (for me) to not get choked down on the high chest-voice notes. So I imagine how exhilarating it is to achieve the breakthrough you just accomplished. Cheers!
  • Kevin123Kevin123 2.0 PRO Posts: 101
    Sounds good. You are making good progress!