Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Please Give Me Your Honest Opinion

This isn't a power belter...matter of fact it's an "undersing" song, so I had to hold back in order not to take away from the styling of the song.

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    wow, this sounds pretty professional
  • JanEarlJanEarl 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 54
    Thanks very much Klaus! I'll try to record a song that has more "oomph" or should I say "dynamics" to it. But I just love this song by Sting. The song is so good that the singer only has to not screw it up.

My "recording rig" is very simple and inexpensive.
    • A refurbished Mac mini ($225),
    • GarageBand DAW (free on Macs),
    • a Sennheiser dynamic mic ($125),
    • Ibanez nylon string guitar ($300),
    • my old M-Audio M-Track ($50 used),
    • and a Rogue violin bass ($125).
    GarageBand is so user friendly that I practice my KT exercises on it: one track for Ken's audio, another track for me so I can record each day and play it back immediately to pick my scales apart.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I think you did a good job with it. The breathy tone suits the song and I could hear you pushing into the sound then quickly pulling back to not over sing it. I guess that's the only real thing that stood out, just finalising that consistency for the whole song.
  • JanEarlJanEarl 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 54
    Thanks Wigs! You're so right about that urge I kept feeling to "push into the sound, then quickly pulling back to not over-sing it. Way back in 2004, I sang that with a live band and a string ensemble in a theater in front of 2500 people. It was an internal struggle for me then to not do my usual "rock band roar" and instead keep it breathy and "Sting-like".
    Then for the past three years I worked as a lead guitarist/backup singer in an acoustic trio, after I had spent ten years fronting a rock band. In the trio when we were doing our sound check, the lead vocalist told me that I needed to back off the mic. I asked "How far do you want me to back off?" He replied "About two city blocks would do."