Home Recording Techniques and Gear

Looking at upgrading DAW pc...

bonvie56bonvie56 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 55
...Anyone have a favorite configuration or advice / comments? I currently run Cakewalk on a Dell 7773 laptop with a Focusrite 2i2 and a MIDI keyboard / controller, Yamaha CP-4 stage piano, Soundcraft Signature 12 mixing board, an assortment of mics, etc. The DAW software may be changing to Studio One Pro if I actually do pull the trigger on ordering a new pc. I've been running into processing errors and sound engine overload with more than 14 tracks on the laptop. This gets very frustrating, as does the latency on certain plugin instruments.
So I'm seriously considering calling a pro DAW builder for a purpose-built computer.
It would be great to hear what music production gear and computers others are using in here, and any pros or cons you care to share.
Thanks in advance!
~~Dan

Comments

• EscironEsciron 2.0 PRO Posts: 28
    How to avoid overloading the processor is a kind of art when working with some instruments and soft synths, and is more related to the especific vst that you are using than the DAW that is howsing them, so sometimes the choose of especif instruments and effects is more important than the DAW witch is more related to the workflow, other strategis like freezing tracks, or play with your interface samples/latency is often a must.

However, if you are thinking about upgrading your hardware, as far as I know, newer versión of major DAWs are today optimiced to work with multiple cores processors and technologies such as Intel hyperthreading witch seems to multiply cores by 2.
    So a quad core, or higher with such technologies would be perfect for a 8 high CPU load tracks and maybe some other tracks with not such load.

Another great chance is to upgrade into a Universal Audio like interface with DSP that process their own plugins. High quality, but not cheap at all. Is an option that depends more if you are after the specific plugins itself more than the hardware. :)
  • bonvie56bonvie56 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 55
    @Esciron Thanks for the reply!
    Well, I've been researching this myself for almost 3 months now, and have talked to a number of people, including a music instructor from our area university. The big question has been, "what do you plan to do with it?" I can't really answer that, because experimenting with new sounds and different ways of assembling music seems to be where I'm headed. So, just this morning I placed an order with Studiocat for a purpose-built pc. It should be here in about 2-3 weeks.
    Good point on the audio interface. That may be something a little down the road...but I do like the Presonus products.
    Also, I can appreciate your comment on the VST's (some tend to create more latency than others). The Yamaha CP-4 can generate enough voices/ reverb/ EQ, etc, itself, so that (with a few exceptions) you can just record it as straight audio and minimize plugins. I also have a miked acoustic piano. As far as vocals (which is why we're in this forum after all! :wink: ), the mics are run through a mixing board ahead of the DAW, so EQ and FX are supplied by the board.
    LOL! You can probably tell from all of this that I'm an old analog guy trying to fit into the digital world (square peg, round hole!)… oh well, we'll get something working.
    Once I get everything loaded up and working with the new DAW, I'll probably post something reporting my impressions of it.
    Thanks again for the input!
  • EscironEsciron 2.0 PRO Posts: 28
    My preference is also analogue (allways!! :) ) but digital world has bring us many, many options difficult to ressit!!! haha and much cheaper. Seems u are building a pretty awsome studio, hope we can hear some results son :)