Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Can a deviated septum limit my singing ability

Hiya all

I'm new to the Ken templin forum and just wanted your advice/ opinions.

I have a deviated septum which is basically causing myself to have restricted difficulty breathing through my nose.

Will that make a sufficient disadvantage for being able to improve my voice and range etc...

Look forward to your reply
Thanks
Darren

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    edited May 2020
    Tagging our resident medical expert for this question. @doc_ramadani
  • JbjwolvesJbjwolves Member Posts: 4
    Thank you 👍
  • MystiMysti 2.0 PRO Posts: 339
    I am not a medical expert, but I personally do not believe it would be an issue. Typically we are not breathing through our nose. We take big gulps of air through our mouth. When our upper palette rises, it tends to close off the nose. Also, while not exactly the same thing, Stevie Nicks has a hole in her septum “big enough to slip a belt through,” and has had it for a long time due to cocaine abuse. Listen to her performance at her hall of fame induction and see if you think it causes an issue for her.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Ill just add that breathing through our nose where possible is good practice because it helps to warm and add moisture to the air we breath in, and tends to be slightly more oxygen rich. Understood its not always possible during a gig, but something to keep in mind.
    Thank you everyone for your replies👍. Greatly appreciated
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Darren, @Jbjwolves

my name is Marco, I am 49 years old, started the course 22 months ago and I am a Medical Doctor.

Yes, a septum deviation, especially if it is drastic, CAN affect your singing ability. But I guess that it will only affect your singing if it is really severe. Nobody's septum is 100% straight. Normally that shouldn't be a big issue.

Doc
    Hiya Marco @doc_ramadani thank you for your time and medical advice. Greatly appreciate it.

Yes I always feel like my airways are narrow which restricts my breathing which I feel effects me getting maximum capacity in my lungs for a big chest voice.

Thanks again to all on the forum for your advice 👍.
  • NinaSTNinaST 2.0 PRO Posts: 91
    Hi!

I've had my deviated sceptum fixed and I don't really notice a difference in overal singing.
    However, I have less mucus in my throat, so if that's bothering you, I guess surgery might help.